Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

DAN (Or any other) Dive Insurance.
Matt65 - 3/19/2009 1:33 AM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 10

I am curious to know what level of DAN or any other dive insurance you guys might have? Did you ever have an occasion to actually use it? Make any kind of claim? Medical or any other reason? And, if you have made any kind of claim, what was your experience like? What happened? How did things turn out for you? And finally, do you still maintain DAN or any kind of dive insurance even after your claim? Thank you for your time in reading this, take care all and as always dive safe!
nembrotha - 3/19/2009 3:51 AM
hi, I maintain DAN Insurance Type 2 which is the highest level. As dive instructor and guide I dive frequently. However I have been a DAN member for 17 years and never made a claim. Not even had a lousy T-shirt from them, lol. Joking aside. DAN is a great organization and provides excellent assistance for divers arounds the world, I always recommend it to my students.
Subscribed
Matt65 - 3/19/2009 4:01 AM
I myself have the highest level of DAN insurance as well, and, not meaning to sound as tho I am in any way saying DAN is anything but a top notch organization, I am just curious to hear from people who have actually dealt with not only DAN, but any other dive insurance organization. Am just curious to hear how it worked out for them, and how they themselves are doing.
Kemperite - 3/19/2009 7:37 AM
I haven’t had the opportunity to use my insurance. I have, however, had a student who used it. Most people don’t know this but your DAN insurance covers more than just diving. His wife broke her leg on a mountain in California. Since they lived on the East Coast they were more than 50 miles from home. They needed to be removed from the mountain by helicoptor. DAN paid the helicoptor ambulance bill as they were trekking while away from home. Saved him US$35,000. Not only does he still have DAN insurance - but he made sure to drop a nice donation at year end to the DAN Research fund to say, "Thanks."
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/19/2009 7:42 AM

I got food poisioning and blacked out on the morning diveboat while in Utila. I had the medium level coverage which only covers problems in the water. Hint, jump in the water and I guess DAN pays and the DM gets credit for a rescue :)

My Blue Cross paid after some interesting emails; Why didn’t I use an ambulance to the hospital in LaCieba instead of a plane? For those of you who haven’t been to Utila, there is no ambulance on the island. They used a pick up truck to take me to the air strip.

I have since upgraded to Preferred!
scubaclay - 3/19/2009 12:41 PM
Because my health insurance does not pay for diving accidents below 60 ft. I maintain the highest level of DAN. Thankfully I have never had to use it. I don’t know of any other kinds of dive insurance out there, but would be interested in finding out about some.
RAWalker - 3/19/2009 1:20 PM
I have the Preferred Family coverage for my wife and I. We haven’t had to use it but felt the additional coverage was worth the addition cost.
DiveBuddyChgo - 3/19/2009 2:45 PM
While on a trip in Coz.. My friend had a problem.. Needed the DAN chamber and facility for 3 days and 1 nite.. DAN would have paid but he worked at the Ford Motor Co. plant.. and he said his work insurance paid the entire bill.. DAN would have paid whatever wasn’t covered..
He didn’t miss his flight home or needed extra nites in Coz.. DAN ins. would have paid any of those extra expenses also..
flaski - 3/20/2009 8:11 AM

I had chosen DAN due to the overwhelming recommendations of Dive Professionals. I had been hearing comments about specifics for not allowing certain claims, but on the other hand, I have meet 2 people that had to use it, and they had the most positive things to say. With any insurance, they have rules in their contract to follow. I reread my policy with them, and decided the master level is ok for me at this time, I do believe I may upgrade at a future date if my diving conditions change. When diving in remote areas of the world have a satellite phone or choose a dive charter that is a DAN cooperator, and has a satellite phone. I have recently been on a charter and the very responsible company actually asked every diver what health insurance or dive insurance they had and in an emergency where was this info located (dive box or bag, on boat, back at hotel or condo, ect..). I had mentioned to them that that was the first time anyone ever asked me for that, his response was that so he knew what procedure to follow, making sure besides heath problem from a dive incedent, your not killed by the transportation and treatment bills.
dalehall - 3/20/2009 9:44 AM
I’ve had the DAN Master plan for the last few years. Never used it, hope never to use it. But, I’ll keep renewing it as long as I keep diving. As with all other insurance, better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Dale