Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Has anyone been underwater during a very bad storm?
Greg - 10/27/2012 10:33 AM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 9

First of all, I wanted to say good luck and be safe to all the DiveBuddy members on east coast that are in the path of Hurricane Sandy. Hopefully the storm does not harm you, your family, or any of your property.

Has anyone ever been scuba diving underwater during a very bad storm? I am sure it would have to be a freak storm that came out of no where, because most people would not intentionally go diving if they knew a tropical storm or hurricane was approaching.

But if this has happened to you, what was it like underwater as the storm passed over head? Did you happen to notice if the storm changed the behavior of the animal life underwater? Did lightning strike the water nearby and did you feel it? Did you surface while the storm was raging by? Just curious if anyone has ever experienced this.
Haolegirl - 10/27/2012 11:11 AM
closest was in South Africa... no lighting though, but 12 ft swells and that was bad enough..... seasick, difficult to get back in the boat... no vis! just scary!
RAWalker - 10/27/2012 12:55 PM
My wife and I were in Cancun a few years ago boat diving. The weather was sunny and warm as we submerged. After a great 40 minute dive we surface to a 3’ chop rain and wind. I wouldn’t call it a bad storm. It was just a storm but the boat we were on was equipped with a large swim platform to reboard. It was bouncing out of the water due to the chop and you needed to time when to swim up onto it. I timed it wrong and ended up with a broken rib.
Eric_R - 10/27/2012 3:21 PM
I was diving an Inland lake here in Michigan during the heat of the summer and had a isolated storm blow in. When we went under the weather was partly cloudy 99% humidity and 90 degrees. There was a chance for isolated thunder storms as usual in Michigan at this time of year. This was back when we didn’t have a cell phone to check the radar right before the dive. Being close to Lake Michigan makes for some flexible weather patterns.LOL We were about 45 minutes into our dive at 40’ checking out an anchor that I found when it suddenly turned into a night dive. We surfaced to a heavy down pour of rain and gusty winds with lightning off to the south. We were only 100 yards from the launch site so we dropped back to the bottom making a straight compass course back to the beach. The rain was coming down so hard we were wetter out of our wetsuits then in them.LOL
LatitudeAdjustment - 10/28/2012 6:56 AM
Back in the days before referral check-outs we would find ourselves offshore in the winter checking out a newbie before their tropical vacation. Even on good days NJ diving can be dark, add blowing snow, ice on the deck, gear boxes sliding around and big waves and it got very dicey.

I have been at 90’ and seen storm surge moving sand on the bottom, the fish seem to move out rather than risk the surge inside a wreck.

With Sandy moving a lot of sand in the next few days I feel the need for some beach dives on the near shore wrecks to see what’s been uncovered :)
captcurt - 10/28/2012 3:15 PM
I’m like Progrower. Diving with friends at the north side of a lake in Texas. We constantly have south winds. It was mid summer and temps were in the upper 90 to 100 range. The normal build up of clouds were present. Went in the water and all was find. As we came out to the shallow end, at 10 feet we hit some big wave action. Surging forward and then backwards. When we were able to stand up, waves were about two feet with white caps and a 50 mph wind. Rain and hail coming down. Needless to say with the hail, we went back in really quick until it passed.
dalehall - 10/29/2012 4:08 AM
A group and I dove in the Gulf during Huricane Gustaf a few years ago. The morning reports stated "some chop" so we decided to go out. It was a bit rough going out. We did our first dive and the viz on the wreck was so bad, I didn’t even know we were on a wreck. I saw metal, but I had no idea it was an actual boat. The water all that rough down below, but the viz was churned up. When we surfaced, the water was so bad, there were major issues getting back aboard. I clibmed on and the DM stayed in the water. He helped get people to the ladder and I helped them get up the ladder. It was the worst conditions we had seen on a dive trip and it took major effort on everyone’s part to get back on the boat. Of course, after all that, the Capt cancelled the the second dive and went back into port. He refunded 100% of our money for the day and was very apologetic for even taking us out in it.
DiveBuddyChgo - 11/07/2012 5:30 PM
YES 10 fts waves on the surface. No one opted for a second dive except me and my normal buddy. Calm underneath. Another time we had an unexpected 50mph wind shear after we went down. The 38ft catamaran boat got spun around. Lots of lighting all around also. During the 80ft. dive it got dark and what seemed like camera flashes. If the boat got hit we would all be fryed below. When we got to the surface and on the boat. The storm was all over and wondered what happened that the boat looked a little messed up. Also the crew looked unrested. White lightning was all around the boat while we were down. 6ft. waves on the surface. White lightning is when it hits the water. Otherwise its no big deal while your down. Another time was in Cozumel. The port of harbour closed for a hurricane that was bypassing us on the east side of the island. That meant no boat diving. So my buddy and I grabbed some tanks from the shack along the beach. Waves were only 3 ft. and this was a shallow dive around 15ft depth. Its was calm and quiet below. Great dive because we only got caught coming out in a 3 ft surf. and given a free lecture besides.
firediver57 - 11/10/2012 8:37 AM
Happened on a beautiful clear day. Calm water, glassy surface and great visibility. Passed through a squall on the way out but other than that nothing. About 35 minutes into a 50/50 dive we were making ascent an the down line began to dance. Looked up and saw lightning hit the surface nearby several times. Didn’t feel a thing but noticed the fish reacted to the thunderclap. Felt that, like a concussive wave, not too hard though. Captain on the boat said later storm boiled up right on top of us out of nowhere. Extended our time on the deco stop hang line but all was good. Waited until the sun peeked out again to surface and remount the boat. Everything went right back to predive conditions with just a a little more wave action on the surface.