Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

What have you found while diving?
Matt65 - 9/27/2008 11:53 PM
Category: General
Replies: 31

I’m almost willing to bet, that most divers, secreatly atleast, hope to find an old ship wreck loaded with gold. Thats all well and good, but what I’m curious to hear about, is what are some of the wierdest things you have found while diving? While it is true that I am a very new diver and havn’t had much of a chance to find any wierd things, my claim to wierd findings is an old bowling ball. What have you found that might be considered wierd or unusual? I’m really interested in hearing about what you might have found, so, if you have any interesting finds, please tell us about it! Thanks for reading my post, I wish good, fun, and safe dives for all.
wiilyv - 9/28/2008 2:47 AM
it was not actually found by me but my buddy. we were diving with a group down south of the Philippines and the viz was very good. my buddy found a small treasure chest filled with coins. he called my attention and he was very excited. we thought what we saw were old and rare coins so we helped each other get the coins because the chest was already damaged. when we went up, we showed it to the local guide. it turned out that they were placed there a month ago by a group of tourists who had a sort of contest on treasure hunting. the coins had no value.
divemaiden - 9/28/2008 6:04 AM
I keep finding lead weights for fishing lines. I have a small collection of 3 now. I also found a religious icon of St. Jude (I think) the size of a child’s pinky finger in a little red velvet bag.
Scout - 9/28/2008 6:09 AM
Last Thursday, ScouterJT and I went up to Crater Lake (NJ) to check it out. Besides the golf balls, I found an electronic guitar tuner device. Back in August, when I was in Roatan, I picked up a perfectly intact skull of a trumpetfish. It was in the sand at about 40 feet. I also have some turtle bones from Florida.
jswantek - 9/28/2008 10:04 AM

The fire dept.’s dive team was doing a dive at a local golf course, we were collecting up golf balls for them and cleaning the irrigation pump intake - got a nice donation for it as well - when I came across a brand new, perfectly good sand wedge square in the middle of the pond. I guess someone had a bad day...
Rich-D-Fish - 9/28/2008 12:43 PM
There must be a prankster who frequents one of my favorite shore dive spots. I ran across two different items on the same day last year. One was an old fashioned deep sea fishing pole complete with reel and line. The pole was lodged in the rocks and the line was attached to a sea fan. Whenever the swell pushed on the sea fan it looked like the pole had caught a fish. The second item was the largest pearl I had ever seen in my life sitting in the open mouth of a very large open clam shell. Alas...it was only a golf ball. Funny guys :-)
TimmyP - 9/28/2008 1:54 PM
I came across an intact at&t slider phone, complete with cover and 2GB Memory Card. It didn’t work anymore however, I guess saltwater has that effect on stuff. I always find fishing weights from the deepsea fishing guys...
seawolfdiving - 9/28/2008 2:57 PM

Once I found a Sea &Sea Motor Marine Camera. It was slightly encrusted but once I cleaned it up. it worked great. It had not been flooded, and the strobe was attached and still functioning.

I posted "Found" notices in the local dive shops, but no one claimed it so I kept it.
DiveGirl55 - 9/29/2008 10:32 AM

Waah, I wish I will found something, since I haven’t yet. I have found beer bottles that I carry back up to the surface and dispose of PROPERLY!

I DID FIND a piece of my u/w camera that came off on the dive! I saw something shimmering as it fell to the bottom!
OcalaJim - 9/29/2008 11:32 AM
I’ve found a Motorola cell phone, a bullet and a complete turtle shell. Last weekend I was diving at Troy Springs a brand new snorkel floated down to me at the bottom (70 feet). I did find the diver it belonged to near the surface and gave it to her.
SeaGoat - 9/29/2008 4:53 PM
My buddy found a real men’s Rolex in San Carlos, Mexico. It was flooded but it was gold with lots of diamonds.
Subscribed
tjdiving - 9/30/2008 3:45 PM
Living and diving in Florida, we find some strange stuff. Some people think the Gulf is their personal trash bin. One of my dive buddies found some sort of government shell casing with the inscription "If found call XXX-XXX-XXXX immediately". I found some poor guy’s c-card in the Keys (which I sent to his dive shop), cell phones, anchors, masks, coolers, knives, watches, tons of bottles, fishing poles, ropes and broken crab traps. We even found a Chalk Full o’Nuts Coffee can which made me think of The Bucket List. sniff
DiveGirl55 - 9/30/2008 8:12 PM

From DiveGirlFWB: My buddy found a real men’s Rolex in San Carlos, Mexico. It was flooded but it was gold with lots of diamonds.

DAMMIT, I need to go diving with you! DIVEGIRLS unite!
DiveBuddyChgo - 10/01/2008 8:12 AM
 I have found numerus anchors, dive watch, weight pouch, dive lights, old tools, sailboat wench handle, old boot with no foot, mask and snorkel... My bent dive buddy flaoting down paralized and he’s OK now... Lrg. Sand Dollor is my latest... And have also found many new friends threw Dive Buddy. Mike
Apocalypso - 10/01/2008 8:43 AM
I found a dive watch in the shallows of Blue Hole in Belize....It worked for about 3 years until it got dropped on concrete
Jupitermermaid - 10/01/2008 11:05 AM
I was diving under a bridge and found a smashed-up computer. It made me wonder if someone was being investigated and it had some incriminating evidence on it, so they had to dispose of it. I also found a new wrist mounted compass.
pmombourquette - 10/01/2008 7:19 PM

Bicycle, skate board, petrified barrel of flour, golf balls, various fishing junk. Some edible sealife (scallops, lobster, mussels, Halibut, etc). I stay away from a area where we had a plane crash several years ago (Swiss Air 111), I don’t want to find anything there!!!!

stang02 - 10/01/2008 10:21 PM
Two weeks ago I found some worm eaten cash (still good) and a non running watch. Then this past weekend (same spot) we found 2 pairs of perfectly good Oakleys, a scuba/snorkle mask, and golf balls. This place is frequented by drunken party boats. I know there’s lots more stuff down there.
badintexas - 10/02/2008 2:23 PM

SEARCHING FOR NOTICE! If anyone has found a wedding band in NB Comal river, it’s Gregs so return it! Actually, we bought him a new one after the trash fest last year after a no luck search and recovery.
I’m not a dive a few weeks ago at a local rock quarry, Greg found me some awesome glasses. I cleaned them up and feel like a superstar in them! I’m not ashamed! ;0) Thanks baby!
badintexas - 10/02/2008 2:27 PM
Also, I think this is one of my favorite discussions! Good idea Matt!!
LizardLady - 10/02/2008 3:32 PM
Entertaining forum! Took quite a few before someone finally mentioned weight pouch. My first trip ever diving, lost my belt - yes, stupid, I know.
SimplyScuba - 10/02/2008 6:13 PM
interesting topic; while diving in cuba i found a 1800 wine bottle, and cannon balls, in the sante fe river in florida, i have found one paleo point arrow head, a petrified alligator tooth. but most bizzar was: the first week i learned to dive i lost my mask and fins to the ocean, almost a year later i found one of my fins.
Carhill - 10/02/2008 11:28 PM

I find WWII unexploded bombs all the time in the lagoon infront of my house. On a grotto cavern dive I came across a tank, BC and reg set up with air in tank. Kind of creepy find at 88 feet.

Dale Still on a little rock in the Pacific 
flaski - 10/03/2008 7:39 PM
just an old anchor, but some guy mike had to haul up and left on my four deck. but thats ok.
MonkeyDiver - 10/03/2008 7:49 PM
Well, lets see. Besides trash, I have recovered several large boat anchors, a shopping cart, fishing gear, fishing nets, hats, bathing suits (bottoms and tops, hmmm), boat BBQ, dive knives, dive lights, dive watch, dive computer, Hawahiian sling, cell phone, GPS receiver, numerous sun glasses, various hand tools, diving weights/belts, lots of interesting bottles, a one-dollar bill, a bunch of goggles/masks/fins/snorkles, and then there was the salsa dish with the 1000 Peso coin in it that I found in Cozumel.
firediver57 - 10/04/2008 11:42 AM
Matt, as a PSD I have found all sorts of things but the most unusaul was in the Atlantic Ocean and I found the handgrip from what appears to be a US helicopter or fighter. Probably scrapped but there are none in that area and its is heavily dove. It has all the buttons and toggles and they all move in and out or toggle as they should. It is in my dive case. Carmine
DrMike - 10/06/2008 12:15 AM
I found a 9mm hand gun in the Comal River in New Braunfels.
akdiver27 - 10/07/2008 6:22 PM
I have found old bottles, china, silver ware, tools, knives, old inkwells. The scariest thing I found was a scorpion in my BCD just before a dive in cozumel I put on my BC was just about to get in the water and it crawled onto my chest.
waterlog - 10/07/2008 11:48 PM

Never found anything cool. But I have Lost plenty of good stuff. So if anyone finds anything. Gold watches cameras ect. Its probobly mine and you can send it to me. Ill even spring for the postage.

ScubaJedi - 10/09/2008 10:45 AM
I found my snorkel I lost on a previous dive. That was cool. The ScubaJedi
-heidi-o - 10/09/2008 4:27 PM
well... diving the current river. Which is a popular ’floater’ desination in Missouri. I have found a full case of Mt. Dew, some water shoes, clothes, a j-snorkel, and soggy wallet.. lol