Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

click,grab,and boil alive
scubabrad - 7/29/2008 7:24 AM
Category: General
Replies: 17

It dumbfounds me that anyone that dives can spearfish. Nothing can ruin a good day of diving like comming topside and seeing the lobsters or fish you just appreciated in their own environment being tossed around like trophies. It is truly disheartening. Diving is not a cheap sport, anyone that can afford the gear and travel it usually requires can afford a lobster dinner at a nearby dock. I say leave the fishing to the fisherman and leave nature as you found it. Please remember there are exceptions to every rule and I am not looking for a fight just merely stating an oppinion.

happy diving, do your part ! B
Will - 7/29/2008 7:56 AM
I think the best solution for you would be to go with operators or groups that don’t allow spear fishing. There are entire Islands you can vacation to that won’t allow divers to take anything (including wildlife) out of the water.

I respect that you don’t like spear-fishing or other fishing activities while diving, however spear fishing divers have to be sure to check their operator allows spear fishing. if that’s an activity they plan to engage in. Why not do the same yourself, check if they allow fishing...but in your case you can choose to NOT go if they allow it, that way everyone’s happy.
Subscribed
Greg - 7/29/2008 11:35 AM
I appreciate everyone’s opinion and I love it when divebuddy members can debate without getting under each other’s skin. Pass the butter is my opinion :)
ReefHound - 7/29/2008 11:49 AM
What dumbfounds me is that a diver catching a lobster themself is considered terrible but letting someone else catch it for him is perfectly OK. It’s quite possible for a person to be a diver AND a fisherman.
mo - 7/29/2008 12:28 PM
I am with Scubabrad on this one, commercial fishing is totally different in that they do not go trawling shallow reefs for their catch. Take a look at what happened to the Mediterranean sea, over fished both commercially and independently by fishermen and divers alike.

Diving a reef devoid of life takes the edge off the dive, a week ago last Sunday I had an incredible days diving, I encountered four very large Lobster on one of the dives, after we finished our dive, two more divers entered the water and also had the experience of seeing these guys in their natural habitat.

I love seafood, and only buy where it comes from a sustainable source, just my opinion

Reef huger mo
ghostdiver - 7/29/2008 2:03 PM

You are right "diving is not a cheap sport"... So what if these guys spent all their money on gear, travel and boat fees? Would that make lobstering/fishing okay then? I agree, that in the future, you should go with an outfit that doesn’t take on divers who are spearing too.

For the record, if everyone where spearing./catching/eating thier own catch, then its far more likey that the eco-system would be spard the trouble we are facing today. It is a far more "green-thing" way to enjoy a lobster dinner than it is to go to some restaurant that utilizies commercially caught fare. Those divers spearing & eating what they catch are much more enviromentally sound than going to some restaurant. As a matter of fact, I thought that we as divers where supposed to be in favor of limiting commercial fishing (project aware).
seawolfdiving - 7/29/2008 6:05 PM

" Bugs (Florida Lobster) are great on the grill. Especially along side a nice thick steak". Surf & Turf anyone...! But hold the butter, I’m watching my cholesterol.
Rigdiver - 7/30/2008 10:30 AM
I respect your opinion and different opinioins are what makes this world go round....BUT!!!! I love to spearfish and the fish I harvest are eaten by my family. I don’t shoot fish just to let them go and die elsewhere, I eat them. I haven’t had the opportunity to lobster fish but would love to....and eat them. I also hunt ducks, geese and deer. Does this mean I’m a bad person? I don’t think so, as I am not only a steward of the sea but of the land too. I respect the property I hunt on as I respect the boat and the sea I fish on. There is no waste, only pure nutrition for my family without any chemicals from man. Go ahead and eat chicken, beef and pork that was raised with steriods and many other chemicals.....I’ll continue to harvest naturally.
tech1327 - 7/30/2008 3:39 PM
I have to agree with ghost on this one. I had this same conversation with a friend about a week ago. I do my part not to support commercial fishing and harvesting. Nothing like enjoying fish or lobster the same day you caught it.
sps3006 - 7/31/2008 12:54 AM
Wow.... where to start..... I live in ranching country..... I have hunted every animal in North America.... and bird... I fish...... I raise my own beef, chicken, pork and I have milked cows..... and I scuba dive.... and yes I spear fish and gather bugs...... O’WELL...... it is a shame to me that the art of living a self-sustaining life has been lost in the majority of the people today. No Virginia... milk comes from cows... not the box on the shelf at the store.... and you do have to kill something to have meat to eat..... and YES even if you don’t get the blood on your own hands... you killed it by ordering it in a restaurant or by buying it in the store..... But, just to let you know I do respect your opinion.... I just don’t know how you came up with it.........
Eve - 7/31/2008 8:04 AM

I appreciate everyone’s opinion and I love it when divebuddy members can debate without getting under each other’s skin.

I respect those who hunt and gather for themselves and or their family, I do not respect those that hunt just for the kill. My rule is that if you are going to kill it you better be ready to eat it. As for vegans who are against killing of live creatures, and don’t get me wrong I respect everyones right to live as they choose, I am one who believes that even plants are living , so does this mean that I cannot have a salad before I eat my water bug with the butter that came from the cow that ate the live plants?

If we are good stewards of our land and air and water then we take care of it and treat it as it was meant to be treated or it would not be around to help take care of us.

Much respect to those who are respectful in what they do in their lives. 
flaski - 7/31/2008 8:59 AM

I would not tend respond to some thing like this, but living were I do, know around the world as "the luckiest fishing village", I have dove equally for sight seeing and fishing. I have my own boats so I don’t worry what the others are thinking, due to my dive buddies preferences I always plan our trips with them knowing what type of trip we are planning. I never take more then what I plan to consume or limits. In fact scuba harvesting is far more conservative then hook & line or netting, the diver can be more selective of their harvest, reducing the of fish killed and tossed back due to out of limit conditions. In fact I think after reading as well as respecting your forum topic opinion, I would have to say the scuba diving fisherman would be the most politically correct way of harvesting your seafood dinner VS buying at the restraint. We only have 2 dive shops in town with charters and a couple private 6 pack charters, but the dive shop that I frequent lists its trips on their board whether is a hunting or sightseeing, and the non hunters can choose to go on those trips as well. I dive with my none hunting buddies all of the time and when we do large areas of reefs or rubble piles they help by being the reel tender so I can chase down our dinner. It makes it interesting for them as well as I don’t have to free ascend and swim 100 yards back to the boat. If you ever get the chance to eat a flounder filet that was pole speared vs hooked you may take up spearing as well. It is also true with other fish because of the instant kill the blood does not get the chance to pump through the muscles giving you a lot whiter and flakier filets. Keep in mind this is just my 2 cents, and if your ever in my neck of the woods your always welcome on my boat and we can sightsee on that trip. sea yah. Dave S
FINSUPHAMMERDOWN - 7/31/2008 10:37 AM
I agree with RIGDIVER I’m also an advid hunter nothing goes to waste (you need something to stir the pot).All natural and lean not pen fed ,fattened and slaughtered!
lawdog - 7/31/2008 3:51 PM

I appreciate your concerns about this topic. There are many good responses and solutions.

I have never removed anything from down-under but I do not rule it out.

I would like to go Lobstering and spear fishing in the future and then enjoy my bounty with friends and family.

I love lobsters and fish, mostly with a cold beer and a fine cigar after :0)

Great topic! Thanks for bringing it up.

Matt
malibu - 7/31/2008 10:26 PM

A very interesting topic and I see there are many well thought and voiced opinions. It almost has as good a response as the qusetion about diving nude. Hmm here’s a thought... what is everyones opinion about nude spear fishing and then dining nude with butter?
Will - 8/01/2008 12:23 PM
Nude Spearfishing? Just make sure it’s really an eel before you spear it.
ScubaDubaDo - 8/01/2008 10:24 PM
I guess we won’t save a spot for scubabrad when bug season opens up in Cali this fall...