Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Does Anyone Actually Go Diving With a Dive Watch?
Smithsgold - 10/20/2017 1:01 PM
Category: General
Replies: 20

Does Anyone Actually Go Diving With a Dive Watch?

nytimes.com/2017/10/04/fashion/mens-style/does-a...th-a-dive-watch.html

Ask yourself, how many buddies do you have with dive watches? Now ask yourself, how many of them dive with one?

Didn’t think so.

One man who has made a living doing so is Jason Heaton, a Minnesota-based journalist, who is known to watch geeks as a test pilot for the world’s most illustrious undersea timepieces. As a contributor to magazines like Men’s Journal and Outside, and sites like Hodinkee and Gear Patrol, Mr. Heaton, 47, has scuba-tested many dive watches, ranging in price from a few hundred dollars for a Scurfa to a $145,000 Richard Mille over the course of more than 400 dives around the world.

Fresh off a dive off Sri Lanka, where, wearing a Rolex Submariner, he explored the wreck of the H.M.S. Hermes, an aircraft carrier sunk during World War II, Mr. Heaton discussed the continuing allure of dive watches in an era when many scuba enthusiasts consider them obsolete.
LatitudeAdjustment - 10/20/2017 1:28 PM
I haven’t used a dive watch in at least 15 years, both of my dive computers tell time so when the dive watch died I never replaced it.
ELLOCODIABLO - 10/20/2017 1:50 PM
Dont use a dive watch anymore but I do still run a dive timer with backup tables to backup my computers
Subscribed
Duke106 - 10/20/2017 3:14 PM
I dive with a watch only. I’m not very experienced, haven’t been on a lot of dives and nothing very deep. I love watches and especially dive watches. I wear a Deep Blue Tritium every day, a Steinhart Titanium 500 for special occasions, and a Deep Blue Depthmeter Professional when diving. I had a Citizen Depthmeter but it was harder to read depth. I’ll probably get a computer eventually, but watches are cool
Subscribed
FtMyersTom - 10/20/2017 5:25 PM
Hey Duke I looked at your photos, those are cool watches, I see why someone would like to use one on a daily basis or occasional diving. I’m sure master crafted timepieces are rare these days no matter the use but that doesn’t take away from there beauty and class.
MasterBlaster - 10/20/2017 7:36 PM
Yes.

I have a "dive watch." It is a Timex Ironman and it meets 100% of my diving needs.

I don’t really use it when diving because my dive computer also tells time and is very reliable. In the event my computer would fail I would switch to my dive watch and dive tables. Some people carry a backup computer but computers are so reliable and unlikely to fail it is much more reasonable to carry a watch and dive table.

Some people will say my Timex is not a real dive watch but it has been diving more than most so called dive watches and if anyone would like to send me a different type I would be happy to review it for you.
Subscribed
Caloosa - 10/21/2017 6:43 AM
I haven’t used a dive watch for over ten years, my computer gives me all the info I need, as long as I am attentive to keeping the batteries replaced I feel confident that it will provide me with reliable time, dive time and surface interval.
Eric_R - 10/21/2017 7:17 AM
When I was first certified I used one along with a digital dive timer. Now I’ll only use it as a redundant timer for any dives where there’s a possibility to go into deco.
Subscribed
Smithsgold - 10/21/2017 12:59 PM
I have one but the batterie always seem to be dead when I want to use it !!!!
Subscribed
ram04769 - 10/21/2017 2:56 PM
I don’t usually travel with all my dive gear, to include my dive computer. So I do have my Citizen Promaster Eco-Drive watch that I always wear. Plus, it gives me a backup on depth and time just in case of battery failure with a dive computer.
cbm369 - 10/22/2017 11:31 AM
I still use a Timex Ironman when diving. More of a habit wearing a watch, but since I shore dive a lot, I use the timer to time how long my surface swim is.

Gives me a ballpark time on when I’ve swam out far enough to reach a location and submerge instead of using up my air supply.
BenDavid - 10/22/2017 7:36 PM
Those "some people" are the ones who think a "dive watch" has to cost $1,200.

My dive watch was 14.99 at WalMart. It’s been down to 122 feet repetitively over the last 4 years and is still going strong. I used to use is as a backup to my computer but now that I have two computers, I don’t use it anymore for diving. I have a wrist computer that takes up just slightly more space on my wrist but does 10x the job. I still wear it out boating or fishing just so I don’t have to worry about a watch getting wet.
Subscribed
Diver_Diva - 10/24/2017 11:35 AM
I do. I always wear my watch and depth gauge, in case my computer quits.
Subscribed
ScubaSteve63 - 10/25/2017 12:45 AM
As a lobster diver I’ve broken too many watches shoving my hands into rocky openings. I do have an old digital dive watch strapped to my gauge cluster though, does that count?
Subscribed
FtMyersTom - 29 days 22 hours ago.
I do wear a veo 3.0 wrist for my backup. I guess you can call it a "watch" because it tells time/date but with lots other functions. The benefit over a basic dive watch is I can download dives from it and has the other settings that monitor nitrogen and oxygen levels ect along with nitrox. I do most of my dives deep using nitrox and I need those redundant functions along with counsel computer. Both are oceanic and functions are the same so I didn’t have to learn a different computer.

The last time I was diving in Marathon just before Irma my VEO 180nx took a crap and since the counsel has it’s own pressure gauge I was able to continue the dive using my Veo 3.0 wrist. If I would have had a basic dive watch or no back up I would have had to abort the dive since I was using nitrox on a deep dive. Even though those dive watches are very cool I have to have a redundant computer.
Subscribed
captn_rob - 29 days 18 hours ago.
I love my dive watch. Time, depth, temp easily accessible.
CAAdventureGurl - 29 days 8 hours ago.
I bought a good solid Timex at home for my dive watch, but when the battery died, I took it off my rig (it was hard to put on my wrist with a drysuit). My dive computer does a good job of keeping track of time. In a pinch I can estimate off my air consumption and depth or just have my buddy track time 😉
Subscribed
KaraM - 26 days 20 hours ago.
I do wear a dive watch on all of my dives. I set the bezel as a reminder (especially on boat dives) of how long the dive is supposed to last- was it 45 minutes? An hour??— (captains get nasty if you are late returning). It’s come in handy a few times, when everyone gets caught up in a great dive.
Subscribed
covediver - 24 days 19 hours ago.
I usually dive with a watch. The first dive watch I purchased in 1983 has been with me on all my trips, generally on my wrist but sometimes left in the gear bag. I have come to rely on my computer for subsurface timing, especially in a dry suit where mounting a dive watch is a bit problematic.
Subscribed
starfish11 - 8 days 20 hours ago.
I always wear my dive watch. My Master Diver friends from Hawaii recommended the Sunto dive watch. It does everything you need it to do. It keeps all logs and records everything. It also calculates my no fly time after doing consecutive dives. I wouldn’t feel safe without it. You can also set a maximum depth and it beeps to alert me when i am going beyond my limits.
Subscribed
Wapwap - 4 days 14 hours ago.
When I read "dive watch" I immediately thought you were asking me about my dive computer which I call a "dive watch" and I thought what a weird question everyone I dive with does... I would use this and some of the previous replies as an example of how obsolete they are.