Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Economic Crisis? Lets open a DiveBuddy resort!
Greg - 10/10/2008 10:12 AM
Category: General
Replies: 17

I’m sure many of you have been (and will continue to be) affected by the current economic crisis...or should I call it Great Depression II?

I have a solution! Lets sell our houses and take out all our money from the banks and brokerage firms and start a DiveBuddy resort somewhere, anywhere!

I wish I had the guts to do something like this. Maybe it would take a group of people to convince each other to take such a drastic action (is that called a commune...Who wants to be David?).

But seriously, how cool would it be to not worry about our money being ripped to shreads by the markets anymore? And instead, our money that is left can be invested in brick, sand and water! A small, cozy, affordable, beach resort for DiveBuddy members only! And maybe a few non-DiveBuddy members to help pay the electric bill :)

I would love nothing more than to dive everyday and not care about the ups and downs of our market or economy.

Who’s with me!!!
Bigdogdown - 10/10/2008 11:16 AM
I’m with you Greg, I live now in FL here and there’s got to be plenty of resorts going belly up along the coast that with other investing divebuddy members we could get. Along with government help on a surplus boat we would be stylin with only a little capital investment and a lot of elbow grease!
RAWalker - 10/10/2008 11:41 AM
Hmm, from what I’ve heard about the present crisis the biggest part of the problem is that since the bubble burst nearly half the home owners owe more on their homes than they are worth. That said most can’t sell and invest in your resort idea. Sorry for the realist point of view it really is a nice dream.
scubaclay - 10/10/2008 12:05 PM
I’m go with it, as long as it is some where warm.
rxatrix - 10/10/2008 4:15 PM
Count me in!!!!!!!!!
TimmyP - 10/10/2008 6:35 PM
I’m down. I got a perfect spot picked out here on Oahu. Everybody move here and we’ll get started. haha
flaski - 10/10/2008 7:26 PM
David here, Iam in, as soon as I am back from Belize. I will contemplate plan.
swatcopdiver - 10/11/2008 1:00 AM
I’m in. I vote on the Keys!!
Subscribed
GypsyDiver - 10/11/2008 8:54 AM
there are plenty of places for sale in the Caribbean! I can’t find anything for sale in North America, but Belize looks promising! http://www.resorts-for-sale.com/central-america-and-caribbean/
TColJeep - 10/11/2008 4:13 PM
Costa Rica, an up and coming nation looking for foriegn investors and very friendly towards Americans.
misstopsail - 10/12/2008 2:24 AM
Andros island in the bahamas! Great place to live, mellow, locals are awesome, we could all just disappear! Plus the reef is beautiful and the diving is year round :)
BeachBumDiver - 10/12/2008 8:44 AM
If anyone is really serious about this, I am. This would be a very good thing to do and just settle with. I can be a part investor with someone. Currently, I am contacted overseas and still single. So, if any of you know the pay of contractors and not having to worry about bills, then you know where I am coming from. Let me know
csemenko - 10/12/2008 8:55 AM
Sounds good. I also found a warm place with a view, cheap real estate, and loads of visitors. It is a quiet little spot on the Tigris River. I haven’t been there in a few years, but I heard the last company who owned it bombed and now there is no competition for the land. Currently I can’t find anywhere with good deep water where I am but there is a lake with some potential if they fix the dam.
Subscribed
GypsyDiver - 10/12/2008 9:36 AM
From csemenko: I also found a warm place with a view, cheap real estate, and loads of visitors. It is a quiet little spot on the Tigris River. I haven’t been there in a few years, but I heard the last company who owned it bombed and now there is no competition for the land. Currently I can’t find anywhere with good deep water where I am but there is a lake with some potential if they fix the dam.
I have been in that area also, The viz is terrible. The Real Estate may be cheap, but the infrastructure is currently under construction. It could be a couple of generations before it is up to a standard that would be condusive to tourism. I think any property in that area has the great potential to be a money pit!!!
urbaneve - 10/13/2008 12:04 AM
i am in - they have uninihabited islands in figi that means cheap property. we could be the first and biggest and best dive shop, tour, bar and all around everything. we could market as an "exclusive dive resort" get all the high and mighty rich people to come in and get pampered with spa treatments, fishing charters, dive trips, beach parties, etc. i would love to do something like that
seawolfdiving - 10/13/2008 3:39 PM
One word..."Underwater Hunting Lodge". Ok, so it’s more than one word. But you get the idea...
SeverinoScuba - 10/14/2008 6:22 AM
Im in, stock market sucks, better off pulling out and puting it into real estate...
JollyRoger - 10/14/2008 9:47 PM
TO LATE - I’ve already lost most of my money in the market.