Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Where to dive
Indiana - 9/25/2008 4:51 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 10

If you had to pick between Grand Cayman or Cozumel which one would you pick to dive
divemaiden - 9/25/2008 5:15 PM
They’re both great choices. I’ve been to Grand Cayman, stayed Sunset Divers and had a great time. I went to Playa del Carmen across from Cozumel, and was booked for dives off Cozumel, but came down with a severe head cold the day before the Cozumel dive, so never got to go, therefore can’t tell you about the diving there.
Greg - 9/26/2008 10:29 AM
Grand Cayman, because I’ve never been there.
ScubaHawk - 9/26/2008 11:09 AM

I would pick Grand Cayman Island. I have been to Mexico many times and enjoy it, but there are better places in the world. I have never been to the Caymans and am very interested in their government and their relationship, as a British Dependent Overseas Territory, to Great Britain.

As for diving, I have never dived that part of the Carribean and am interested in learning about the differences in currents, sea life, and weather.

My first choice for a hotel/dive operator would be Sunset House. I want to visit this dive resort because of the good press that it gets in dive pubs and on websites.

Gin Clear Water To Ya!

markm
GenoMc - 9/26/2008 2:47 PM
I have been to both Cozumel and the Caymans. My last trip to the Caymans i stayed on Cayman Brac. If you like big fish encounters, try the Caymans!! If you prefer really beautiful drift dives, where there is hardly no swimming required and small critters, then Cozumel. If i had to pick, it would be the Caymans!!! I also believe that there are less divers in the Caymans.
crash141 - 9/27/2008 8:47 AM
anywhere with warm water is better than a quarry in Ohio
malibu - 9/29/2008 5:12 PM
Where ever the air fares are cheeper and the hotels that have the best discount. Also after hurricane season!
DiveBuddyChgo - 9/30/2008 9:05 AM
Cozumel is my choice.. The diving is great and you get more bang for the buck.. Mike
Subscribed
luvs2dive4fun - 9/30/2008 9:39 PM
I’ve dove both places as well...Both are great! But IF I had to choose, I would choose Cozumel....For some reason I just enjoyed the atmosphere there better...of course, it could be where we stayed. We always stay at the all inclusive resorts..I think they’re "Good for the money" ;o) Just my opinion.....
Apocalypso - 10/01/2008 6:55 AM
Both are great destinations....but very different in the type of diving and cost...it depends on what you are looking for....the way to do The Cayman Islands IMO is on a liveaboard you can cover 3 islands in one week....I have been going to Cozumel since the 70’s and never tire of the wonderful drift diving....
ScubaStevesWife - 10/06/2008 10:55 AM

I dove Grand Caymans last year, East End Diving with Ocean Frontiers. It is definitely a place I want to visit again and again. Sharks, turtles, sea horses, etc. etc.

So far the Caymans has proved to be my favorite diving destination. We rented a convertable and toured the island during our surface intervals. We stayed in the condos at Ocean Frontiers, and shopped for food and cooked at our leisure. Everything was very comfortable and well worth the expense.