Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Minnesota River Diving
ScoobahJim - 4/07/2017 12:18 PM
Category: General
Replies: 4

Anyone ever go River diving? If so, do you have any tips for a beginner diver? Equipment? Dangers?
Greg - 4/08/2017 3:00 PM
Be careful of current and dams. Bring good knife to cut lines if you get entangled. Watch out for debris that has fallen into river, especially near housing where concrete and rebar may be. Decide on a safe entry and exit. Water is usually shallow and sometimes murky so talk about Buddy separation procedures before you dive.
Subscribed
Resqdivemedic - 4/09/2017 12:24 PM
Depending on the river an its depth, you will find lesser current the deeper it is. In moderate currents its like a drift dive but as Greg mentioned be prepared if you become separated from your buddy and know where the exit points are downstream from your entry. I would scout the river from where you plan on entering to where you plan on exiting and consider alternate exits in between in the event of an emergency. Also consider exit points beyond your planned exit in the event you cannot get out there Look to see if anyone in the area has dove the river or is familiar with it to get a heads up of hazards. Check out USGS website for stream flow data on whatever river you plan on diving. It will give you speed and gauge height and has reading from previous years. I would wait to the current is at its slowest before making a dive especially if you have little experience with it. Other than that enjoy and stay safe.
Subscribed
ScoobahJim - 4/10/2017 10:33 AM
sounds great guys! thanks for the excellent information! Thank fully I am pretty familiar with the river I plan to dive in, but it seems each year theres a new set of trees in it or similar. I will definitely canoe the river first and scout an entry point as well as an exit point. not sure why that didnt even cross my mind. I suppose the familiarity of the river has kind of relaxed my brain. The river has a few deep spots that i really want to go down into. A lot of Tubers go through the deep areas and they talk about these mega fish that live below and they all get scared... I want to find out for myself whats actually down there!
Subscribed
ScoobahJim - 4/10/2017 10:35 AM
in addition to my previous comment there is also a lake here that is said to have a bank and a jewelry store at the bottom of it from a tornado that went through here in the early 1900’s. Pretty sure its an urban legend but I want to check that out too :)