Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

? for woman divers
DiveGirl - 7/01/2008 12:58 PM
Category: General
Replies: 22

OK, girls! Any body have any tips on what to do with long hair when diving and not coming up with dread locks? I have tried braiding my hair, I have switched my goggle straps from plastic to cloth, using a lot of conditioner. No mater what I try I always surface with knotty hair. I am going diving for a week in August and can’t wait! Any tips would be great!
Greg - 7/01/2008 3:00 PM
You could just cut your hair to look like mine? Sorry, I couldn’t resist.
Emsdiver28341 - 7/01/2008 3:21 PM
Use one of those Scrunchie things...... LOL
tucker - 7/01/2008 3:55 PM
Sorry, wish I knew the secret as well...I usually go with a twisty-knot versus braid though, seems to work a little better...and I do keep conditioner as part of my dive gear...doesn’t solve the issue but helps somewhat. Will stay posted in case someone has the magic answer to this one. :-)
MichelleA - 7/01/2008 4:17 PM
Hey, I have long hair as well and when ever I come back from a dive, I put in some leave in conditioner. After about 5 mins. brush your hair out and then it will be fine.
Eve - 7/01/2008 4:26 PM
Okay, sounds weird to some but the best conditioner for you to use is at the horse supply store. It is Mane and Tail conditioner. Some Wal marts carry it now. Put it on, then braid, then dive ! Or put it on heavy after diving. Works great, just look at Greg’s hair it worked for him ! : )

Eve
TKDiver - 7/01/2008 6:42 PM
have you tried 2 french braids?

are you using a hard plastic snorkel keeper? mine had to be cut out of my hair after snorkeling in my pool once.... not fun at all. try the soft ones.
DiveGirl55 - 7/01/2008 9:09 PM
Well, I switched to all braided hair to avoid having to comb it out after diving. I wash only with conditioner immediately after diving, and also use only a cloth mask strap. You are doing everything right. The only other suggestion, is if you love diving as much as I do, then maybe cut it short or shorter.

The sea is nasty to hair and tangled hair after a dive is inevitable!
Joanie - 7/01/2008 10:04 PM
I used to have hair to my waist when I first started diving and my solution was to use a heavy conditioner the night before my first dive. The day of I would use the conditioner and pompade gel I would then braid my hair. At the end of the dive day I would first spray my hair with detangler (you can purchase it in bulk at the beauty supply stores or some hair salons). Each night after my dives I would shampoo with heavy conditioner and start the process all over. Kind of a pain in the rear but it beat the cutting option. Besides it still gets tangled even if it’s not as long :( Seems like anything longer than a man’s cut tends to tangle. Hope it helps you as much as it did me :)
DalelynnSims - 7/02/2008 5:53 AM
Working at a dive resort there is few weekends that I am not in the water a few times. I find a snug scrungie pony tail works for me I also use the pony tail to help keep the mask strap in place as the strap I use has a large hole in the middle that I can insert the tail through. On occasion I will also use another scrungie or two further down the tail to keep things in place if I am going to be in the water a while or working. Cleaning attractions underwater can get messy but it is still underwater :-)

Hope this Helps

Best Fishes!! [
Bonnielynn - 7/02/2008 11:45 AM
I used to have curly (frizzy !!) hair to my waist. I tried braiding it, using a cloth mask strap and conditioner also. The thing I found that worked the best was twisting my hair up into a beanie cap. I know its not the most attractive thing, but it saved all the frustrations of dealing with long hair.

Now that I have donated it all to Locks for Love, I have my cute little natural curls and am a happy diver!
Subscribed
DiveGirl - 7/02/2008 12:41 PM
Thanks everyone for all the responses! At least I know I am not alone in the knotty hair department!

And no Greg! I don’t think a buzz cut would look good on me!

dhung99_2000 - 7/02/2008 1:30 PM
I have long hair myself. And especially when it is colored. I know how you feel. Usually I would not shampoo my hair that clean if I knew I am going diving because the oil from itself from the root it works well when you comb it from the bottom up. I would toss my hair upside down and start at the very bottom by using a wide tooth comb. Don’t use a brush. And before you go diving. Make sure you are applying a lot of gloss shine which it also helps it to comb it easier when you come out of the water. It always works for me all the time. Good luck and have fun on your trip.
-heidi-o - 7/02/2008 4:07 PM
I have long hair also... and I have already accepted the fact that my hair is going to get messed up... so i have switched to the ever famous twistie bun... It looks great wet or dry and you don’t have to worry about brushing it until you take a shower...

-heidi-
two4diving - 7/03/2008 12:03 PM
I use a product called Logics leave in protector by Matrix. Just spray it on your hair, wet or dry and comb it through. I reapply after each dive. It also protects from sun and saltwater damage. Works like a charm :)
djguess1 - 7/03/2008 12:24 PM
I had the same problem ~ Except mine was extensions! Not trying to be a smart SS but I say cut it! Thats what I did! :) It’s wayyyyyyyyy better!
Kami - 7/03/2008 4:59 PM
I wear my hair in a twistie knot too, but I do use Paul Mitchells Super Skinny Serum in my hair and that keeps it a bit silkier and easier to comb out later. Similar products are Frizeeze serum (not the spray) and Sallys Beuty Supply Genric copy of the Paul Mitchell serum. This stuff is great for after you wash your hair too. You just put a dime size ammount into towel dried hair and then blow dry. It protects your hair and leaves it soft.

Good Luck!
scubaclay - 7/03/2008 7:06 PM
My wife and two of my AI’s use scuba due rags. On of my divemasters (male) has long hair and just puts up with it.

Clay
Priscilla - 7/06/2008 3:10 PM
Waterproof sunscreen made for your hair and scalp help a lot. I then knot my hair into a bun with a hair tie and try to get one of the plastic straps on either side of the bun to hold it in place. As soon as I get out, I take it down and rinse it with fresh water, then finger comb.