Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Working as a PADI or NAUI Dive Master
planodiver - 5/09/2014 11:14 AM
Category: Training
Replies: 6

I was curious if anyone knows how insurance works for dive operators? I am looking at taking the Dive Master program mostly to have something to do while retired in Maui. I know there is no money in it but picking up some diving and tips would keep me out of my wife’s hair. Most of the operators are PADI. Does anyone know if the shops and boat operators are able to insure NAUI Dive Masters if they with PADI or SSI?
Subscribed
lerpy - 5/11/2014 4:22 AM
Most agencies, PADI, NAUI have some form of insurance you can buy from them for dive master or instructor. My experience has been that you insure yourself as a dive master, the company you are working for does not necessarily insure you. I know this may vary, just my experience so far. I carry my own.
Subscribed
planodiver - 5/27/2014 8:27 PM
Thanks lerpy. The insurance thing is pretty interesting. If you don’t have anything to lose (judgment proof) its not really an not an issue. If you have an real assets its a whole other matter. The deductions and liability for reaching the Dive Master level are something best left for the family attorney.
Subscribed
Diver96 - 7/07/2014 5:24 AM
I am surprised that DMs would be individually insured and that the dive operators do not necessarily insure. I wonder if there are different assumed standards for stateside vs overseas operators. I would not be surprised if many in the Caribbean or south America are going without...

Ty
divinggearguide.com
jerry8389 - 12/14/2014 5:50 AM
I’m a PADI instructor and yes you do need to have liability Insurance.
You can get this thru PADI just give them a call.
Subscribed
WolfeDiver - 5/26/2015 11:33 PM
It depends on the agency. SEI, as a DM, I am covered under the Instructors insurance, as long as I am with an instructor when I am with students. PADI, they require Insurance for DM and above from my understanding, but some have said PADI only requires it for instructors, so I am not sure.
Subscribed
Brian_V - 5/27/2015 10:31 AM
From WolfeDiver: PADI, they require Insurance for DM and above from my understanding, but some have said PADI only requires it for instructors, so I am not sure.
PADI requires ALL dive professionals to have insurance prior to working with divers/students. It is possible to get your professional liability coverage through the dive shop you work for (being under their group policy), which will work out to be about half compared to getting it independently. But not many dive shops do that for liability reasons, most prefer to have instructors/ Asst Instructors / Divemasters be considered ’independent contractors’ in the event of an incident so they can get released form any litigation that might/will follow.