Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Sad
shannon28 - 3/23/2010 2:14 AM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 18

I am a some what new at diving. My boyfriend who I had been dating for 4 years broke up. I was the kind of girl who would never go pasted where I cant stand in the ocean. Then I went to the class and payed all that money and to late 2 chicken out now. Then to my surpise I loved it! But now I am dating someone new and he cant even swim. It is really a problem. I worked so hard over getting over my fear oh the ocean. Its also so hard cuz my ex was there to hold my head trough it. I am 29 years old and I live in NJ. I am looking for some friends so dive with me. If u are looking for the same. Please message me!
DeepAddiction - 3/23/2010 8:21 AM
Don’t be sad...I’m sure there will be a long line of people wanting to dive with you, just be careful.
Greg - 3/23/2010 9:12 AM
There are several hundred scuba divers on DiveBuddy from the state of New Jersey. Click on Search and type in NJ in the State field and click Search. Start meeting new divers and get underwater! Your new boyfriend can be your surface support :)
carpenterobueno - 3/23/2010 9:20 AM
I agree with Greg. Hey, you will have someone to give you a towel and a brownie when you get out of the water!!
1maurscuba - 3/23/2010 9:44 AM
Hi Shannon, You sound like me. I’ve always had a fear of the water. Would only go in the ocean up to my knees! Spent lots of money on equipment and knew there was no turning back!!! Going to Bahamas in 3 wks. to get certified! Hope to see you at BTS. and Dutch Springs. Maureen
malibu - 3/23/2010 10:11 AM
First, go to beneath the sea on sat. At 4:00 at outback Steakhouse, there will be a divebuddy get together. Or contact Brion aka Gypsydiver. He is in charge of it and its a nice time. You will meet alot of nice people there and a good number of us from NJ and the NYC area. Scuba Clay and I will be there. and you can also see the other people who responded who will be there. You will meet good people. BTW... dump the non diver and hook up with a diver.... there are alot of nice guys looking for a special divebuddy.
oceanbound - 3/23/2010 12:18 PM
hi Shannon! welcome to DB. Just keep diving. The new guy will either adjust to situation, or you’ll move on to someone who does. don’t scrafice what you love to do. I got certified a little less than two years ago. It was something i always wanted to do but marriage and kids put a damper on it. I am so glad I learned as i have met some of the best people from DB and other divers. you got over a fear of the water, don’t let anything or anyone make you change. Enjoy life and have fun
hoofpick - 3/23/2010 5:21 PM
Hi Shannon, I can’t go along with telling you to dump the new boy friend just because he doesn’t dive. But what I will tell you, is let him see how much fun and how excited you are on every dive. It may be all he needs to encourage him to learn to swim and then possibly certification for diving. There are many of us that our spouses or significant others don’t dive for one reason or another.But, you can find lots of great people here on Dive Buddy in you area to dive with and gain experience. Good luck with your diving.
Triggerfish - 3/23/2010 6:28 PM
Try getting a hold of a dive shop and have them do a Discover Scuba Class with him that might be all it takes!!!
deepn2divin - 3/24/2010 9:04 PM
ROFL....LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! Im sure they are lined up around the block by now!!! If you cant find anyone there....move to Ks....Ill dive with ya!!!!
Subscribed
shannon28 - 3/25/2010 10:27 AM

I am going to go to that on Sat! Its in my town!
Subscribed
shannon28 - 3/25/2010 10:34 AM
I will be going 2o BTS! Hope 2 see u all there! :)
MeetAtBTS - 3/25/2010 10:37 AM

Just look for the Divebuddy.com Logo.

Don’t be Sad! Are I am sure we can find you a divebuddy or two!
scubachick76 - 3/26/2010 10:38 AM
Hi Shannon, I can understand how you feel. Do not dump someone you like cause they have different interests. I have been diving since 2006 & my husband will not dive. He’s tried it & has no interest in it, but as Greg said he is always there for me cause he is my surface help. My hubby used to never swim but through our 15 yrs together & just being around water he has learned to swim, be comfortable in a wetsuit, snorkel, & now loves the manatee/snorkel dives. When I met him it was "No way in Hell i’m doing that! Now we go to our dive locations together, he helps me get set-up, he keeps an eye out for surface traffic, & is there if we need help. I love knowing he’s up top & got my back if I need him! I have dive buddies! They are there to dive with. No worries about your love not wanting to dive or not being comfortable with water. If he’s the one, things have a way of working out. Just relax & enjoy diving! 
ScubaDivaLaura - 3/28/2010 8:21 AM

HI Shanon

Just to let you know I offer a complete money back guarantee if I cant get you under the water, willingly. I dont force anybody and never have its all voluntary. Not one dive shop in this country will offer what I do. I have great references and have worked with people who can barely swim, had near drowning experiences and bad instructors. Give me a try, you have nothing to loose. P.S. If you come to florida in June there is a special Learn to Dive package available where you get an extra Free day of Diving and an Extra Free night stay in my hotel. I’ll let you in on more if you contact me.
Subscribed
shannon28 - 3/29/2010 12:58 AM
when r u going to dutch springs?
LONGTAILBDA - 4/05/2010 11:25 AM

Hi Shannon,

I’ve been diving since 1981. My wife never tried diving for 20+ years, once she did I can’t stop her. Just because he doesn’t dive dosen’t mean you can’t.
John_giu - 2/06/2012 5:44 PM
Shannon,

Anytime you need a dive buddy for Dutch Springs you can go with us, if you don’t mind hanging with a couple of old guys. We have annual memberships and dive often. Dutch also has a dive buddy finder, The Tuna Seizure run by Northeast Scuba Supply is a great boat for Jersey diving. We also dive with another friend who has his own boat set up for diving, three divers down three divers up watching the boat. If you haven’t yet, Jersey diving is not for the faint of heart.

Neither of our wives dive so I understand about a non-diving significant other. We take the wives each year to Sandals resorts, they love the beach and the resorts and we get to dive half a day. Also the wives take in some snorkeling. Maybe you can take him along in baby-steps. BTW Sandals is a great way for a new diver to rack up some dives in a well run operation.
John_giu - 2/06/2012 5:48 PM
From scubachick76: Hi Shannon, I can understand how you feel. Do not dump someone you like cause they have different interests. I have been diving since 2006 & my husband will not dive. He’s tried it & has no interest in it, but as Greg said he is always there for me cause he is my surface help. My hubby used to never swim but through our 15 yrs together & just being around water he has learned to swim, be comfortable in a wetsuit, snorkel, & now loves the manatee/snorkel dives. When I met him it w...
Scubachick,

Can I borrow your husband? and f he hunt you think he will carry my rifle? :) LOL