Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Training
charstew - 8/16/2009 8:42 AM
Category: Training
Replies: 8

I wanted to poll the vast Jury here on Dive Buddy and see if any of you have taken PSI, Professional Scuba Inspectors classes. They offer certifications for Visual Inspections, Valve Repair and Oxygen Cleaning (Nitrox Tank Preparation) and Gas blender classes. I was wanting to know what anyone thought about these classes that has taken them. Or if you know of any other certification agencies that offer these classes.
BgDmbRngr - 8/16/2009 9:43 AM
I know there are several that do offer the classess. I personally went through TDI/SDI as my LDS just got 5 star certified through them. The classes are very informative. I am actually building my own tank tumbler as a DIY project and my LDS will use it once it is complete to make our job easier when we get in those paintball tanks that always seem to have fair to heavy oxidation in them. PSI is considered one of the top of the line classes for tank inspection if I remember correcty.
scubaclay - 8/17/2009 7:45 PM

I took the course a couple years ago when I bought my shop, it was great. A lot of information along with the rules and regulations of inspections. Always good to know. I did an update last year, and next year I want to do the valve repair class. Dale is a great instructor, and keeps the classes going in the right direction, with his welth of information.

Clay
Greg - 8/18/2009 9:29 AM

I haven’t, but why don’t you add this to the survey section...if you haven’t already.

Thanks,

Greg Davis
divingbunny - 8/19/2009 4:05 PM
SDI offers VIP inspection classes. Pretty hassle free to sign up and class gives good information but doesnt overload you with useless stuff. I am not VIP Instructor right now but let me check to see if paperwork is all that is needed to get that rating. 
Subscribed
charstew - 8/19/2009 8:13 PM
That would be great! I need to visit your shop one any way to check it out.
Kemperite - 8/20/2009 11:42 AM

Hey gang, the SDI/TDI Visual Inspection Course is actually very well written and while PSI may be very recognized among those who do not affiliate with SDI or TDI I would recommend going that route. One thing to remember is that if you work in a shop environment and deal with tanks then you are going to remain current and familiar with the tank inspection procedures. The PSI certification expires after 3 years while the SDI/TDI certification does not expire.

If Charles runs off to Clay’s shop and you guys get a couple of others to meet up I’d be happy to drop in also and run an SDI/TDI clinic to get everyone up to speed/certified/recertified as the cay may be.

Danny
divergeorge - 8/29/2009 2:44 AM
I would recomend the IANTD courses they are the world leader in reference to anything Nitrox. You can find an instructor on there web site. IANTD classes for gas blending o2 cleaning and vip are usually cheaper than PSI.
divergeorge - 8/29/2009 2:48 AM

Are you interested in taking diveing to the next level? Ready to try techncal diveing. SEAdction Dive Services is offering a tech foudations course through SSI tech xr program. The instructor for the course will be Mke Ange an expert in the field. For more information caonact SEAdction Dive Services at shop [ at ] seaduction.com