Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

NEW CAMARA
samaniegodr - 3/20/2009 5:16 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 8

anybody shoot with a "SEALIFE DC800"? any opinions?
Greg - 3/20/2009 5:20 PM
I use the Sea Life DC 500, which is very similar to the DC 800, except for the megapixel rating I believe. Make sure you have a moisture muncher in the case or it will condensate on the inside and damage the camera.

Other than that tip, the camera takes great pics! I don’t use any of the fancy settings, just point and shoot.
seawolfdiving - 3/20/2009 6:01 PM

I just started with the DC800 with external flash. I like it. But it took me a while to figure out what settings to use for the various shooting modes.

I think it takes great pictures for the price. I’m thinking about adding another external flash unit though.

Greg is correct. make sure that you have a fresh moisture muncher in the housing when you dive.

Also, if you are using the external flash... make sure that you have plenty of AA batteries to spare. The flash really eats up batteries.

Ron sends

Subscribed
samaniegodr - 3/20/2009 6:07 PM

For the price? if you dont mind can i ask how much you paid? i can get a hold of one for 450, and a strope together for i think 9 total.

mositure munchie?
seawolfdiving - 3/20/2009 6:34 PM

I’ve seen the "set" camera, housing , strobe, usb cable, carrying case & basically everything you need sell for between $800 and $900.

A moisture muncher is a little plastic capsule that is filled with dessicant to absorbe the moisture that may occur inside the camera. They are usually sold where the camera is sold.

Not bad considering the price of just the housing for a Canon EOS or other similar SLR . Look the price up on one of those and you’ll see what I mean.

SeaLife even includes a disc that has two different "basic" media editing programs.
Subscribed
samaniegodr - 3/20/2009 6:37 PM
cool. thanx. may just stick with the camara for now. thanx for the help.
RAWalker - 3/20/2009 6:43 PM

The DC800 can be bought for $399 or less.

If you are a member of Scubatoys forum you get 10% off

If you are a PADI Diving Society member there is a $25 rebate.

By my math that brings it down to $335
seawolfdiving - 3/20/2009 6:44 PM

One other thing... The DC800 is a great little camera, but it is not the latest version that SeaLife makes. They have recently come out with the DC1000 10MegPix camera setup.

Although the DC800 is more than adequate for most purposes, some people absolutely must have the latest and greatest technology. This leaves dealers and other diver "technophiles" with what is considered "last years model" if ya know what I mean.

Consequently, you may be able to pick up the complete set (DC800) for a considerable discount. If you do buy one used, just be sure that it has not been flooded...

Good luck, and safe diving.
DanM - 3/21/2009 5:49 PM
i just bought the dc800 pro kit, that comes with the external strobe, now i just need to learn how to use it. and heres a plug for Ramiro at scubaquest, he gave me a great deal when they had there tent sale. thanks, Dan