Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Serious help from the divebuddy community
Eve - 9/16/2008 7:08 AM
Category: General
Replies: 6

The Houston and surrounding area has been hit hard by Hurricane Ike, We need divebuddy members to come to the assitance of the divebuddy members who need assistance. Many are still without power and water. This also means no fuel for vehicles until service stations get electric back up and running. This also means no banking to buy supplies at a store if the store was open. If you had cash before the storm hit then great, if not you are SOL.

Greg and his family are fine, they are still without power and he travels to find a location were he can get wifi so he can get on the computer. Greg can be the center of the wheel (the hub) that allows for other divebuddy memebers to come to the aide of those in need.

Plz help your fellow buddies.

Respond here to get further information

Matt65 - 9/16/2008 12:58 PM
How can we help from further away areas? Is there an assistance fund being set up? How can we help?
Subscribed
Eve - 9/16/2008 1:39 PM

From Matt65: How can we help from further away areas? Is there an assistance fund being set up? How can we help?

Thank you for the response, first of all if you know of anyy divebuddy members in the houston TX area, or any Texas area affected by the hurricane plz let us know their status. R they okay, do they need help, etc. We are first trying to get all of the members in the affected area accounted for. We are then needing to find out what type of assistance may be needed. As far as a fund to contribute to we will get that information out as soon as possible. What we need first though is a show of divebuddy members affected by the hurricane and their needs if any.

So if you have a dive buddy that has been affected but they cannot communicate thru this web site because of no electricity then plz update them for us. Maybe you have spoken with your dive buddy, so let us know what the dive buddy members can do to assist.

Thank you

Eve
Matt65 - 9/16/2008 2:16 PM
I personally don’t know anybody in the area of Ikes wrath, and I’m not really sure what I can do to help our fellow divers who have been affected by the storms. But, if there is anything I can do please pass it allong and let me know. Perhaps I can help send messages and or phone calls for those who have no or very limited access to internet or phones? I just don’t know what I can do from here, but if you guys can think of anything please let me know.
mo - 9/16/2008 2:17 PM
It frustrates me that I am unable to help you guy’s that have been affected by the hurricane, I hope that everyone is ok and that your lives will return to normal very soon.
flaski - 9/18/2008 7:01 PM
Post, ways we can help. From 15 hours drive away its tough. Currently my rentals in Destin Florida are all occupied but as they come available I will gladly offer them at 1/2 price to any dive buddy member till march 2009 and if their insurance agency is covering it, I will accept what ever they are paying, and wait for their check.
fossilbabe - 9/20/2008 4:00 PM

From flaski: Post, ways we can help. From 15 hours drive away its tough. Currently my rentals in Destin Florida are all occupied but as they come available I will gladly offer them at 1/2 price to any dive buddy member till march 2009 and if their insurance agency is covering it, I will accept what ever they are paying, and wait for their check.

I phoned my friend’s in texas everyday since it has happened. Still no electric,and they are ok. A couple of them might come to stay with me for a while until things get back to normal. He said it is very hot for them and not used to having no electric. Also a perfect time to get some diving in. They are doing some cleaning and fixing and then will be heading this way. I will be so glad to have them here. ~~~Babe~~~