Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving on a Cruise
MegsTaxi - 8/02/2008 1:52 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 2

thinking about a cruise this winter; Caribbean probably. Would like to do diving, is that possible? any cruise line more diver friendly than others?
dalehall - 8/02/2008 2:29 PM
I can’t speak for other cruise lines, but I can tell you from 5 cruises on Royal Caribbean, they are cool with divers. If the ship is big enough (Radiance Class or above, I think) they have Scuba equipment for sale in the Sea Trek booth (Mostly Sea Quest equipment last time I was there) and even offer Discover Scuba in the pool.
In the same breath, I will also say that unless it’s an scuba excursion offered by the cruise line itself (like on CocoCay or Labadee) it’s cheaper to book with the actual operator. My last cruise to the Bahamas, we didn’t book through the cruise line, we booked with Stuart Cove directly and saved money. Of course, you need to know who the operator is, or at least find out if the people you want to dive with do pick up at the Cruise Ship docks..
Hope this helps a little..
Dale
Subscribed
FINSUPHAMMERDOWN - 8/05/2008 1:44 PM

I go on a cruise every year with Royale Caribbean.I’ve been on the Mariner of the seas and the Freedom of the seas and and take their dive excursions(about $90.). I’ve been to ST. Martin,ST. Thomas,Jamacia,Cayman Islands and Cozumel I haven’t had a bad time yet. The operators they deal with are usually pretty good. Also as long as your with the group from the ship you won’t get left behind if your dive runs late. If you book your own trip and it runs late the ship won’t wait for you.Hope this helps and Yes they rent gear on the ship. Personnelly I take my own (thats why I bought it).