Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

What is the strangest thing
mo - 7/25/2008 12:24 PM
Category: General
Replies: 4

What is the strangest thing that has happened, or the strangest thing you have seen when diving?

For me it has to have been the time I was at 30m in the Mediterranean off Cyprus and heard three load explosions, when we surfaced the instructor said nothing to worry about its just the locals fishing with explosives.
Greg - 7/26/2008 4:24 PM
Diving the radio island jetties in NC and listening to and watching the massive cargo ships go by directly overhead. A direct ascent is out of the question at that dive site.
Joanie - 7/27/2008 2:30 PM
While making my safety stop the swells had picked up to such a degree that it actually lifted me out of the water up into the air and then dumped me back into the water! I don’t know quite what it looked like from the surface but it was definitely a strange feeling for me!!! Thankfully I had not been too far at depth for too long so no problems from lack of safety stop..but that’s not to say the boat ride back didn’t cause everyone on board to not eat for a few days! ha ha
azskyandsea - 7/28/2008 12:28 AM
While diving in San Carlos, there were sea lions in the water. One came up to my buddy and I and lunged towards me. Well he struck me then swam away but I didn’t see anything wrong or did not feel like I got bit. So we continued our dive and when we surfaced, people on the boat were laughing. All of a sudden I heard a whistle being blown and turned aroud to see on of the sea lions blowing on an orange whistle. I get to the boat and realize that the whistle was mine and that is what he took from my BC when he lunged.
tech1327 - 7/28/2008 9:21 AM
Catching lobster in the keys last year, I was on the boat watching my friend, when all of a sudden I saw all this commotion on the water. A stingray came to the surface and started flapping its fins, splashing agressively and chasing my friend! He got out of the water and the stingray continued to harass us, circled the boat several times and then disappeared. Were we eating off his dinner table? I don’t know.