Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Chat??????????
mo - 7/18/2008 2:21 PM
Category: General
Replies: 8

What has happened? Very few members now use the chat room, it was not that long ago that most every time I logged on there was someone there, now only on the odd occasion is there anyone there.

Any reason for this?
GypsyDiver - 7/18/2008 3:13 PM
I don’t get it either. I will go in people will pop in and pop out without even saying hello! 
clyde - 7/18/2008 3:35 PM

your right mo i pop in most evenings and rarely find anyone there i have had some pc problems though and put it down to that 
Reefdiver1960 - 7/18/2008 3:41 PM
Perhaps because there is not a visible list of people in the chat room. You have to click a little icon at the upper right. I just noticed it.
Greg - 7/18/2008 6:20 PM

I will do whatever you all want me to do to make the chat more active. I can remove the times on the Chat page if you think that will help. OR if you want to suggest some alternate wording, I’ll consider that.

I would have to redo our chat...but would it be better for everyone if the chat window was constanly open in the right margin of the site when you’re logged in? That would probablly make the site a little slower, but would draw more attention to the chat room. I guess you need to decide how important chat is to you.

Thanks,

Greg
ScouterJT - 7/18/2008 7:11 PM

sometime I’m slow on the up-take ( ... my wife says it’s part of my charm ...)

but it took me a while to realize that 1) the chat room acts like a pop-up (so I had to allow pop-ups) and 2) the chat room opens a new window (so I had to tab over to that window).

now that I have figured that out, I’m hoping to stop by more often
sps3006 - 7/18/2008 7:57 PM
I have used the old style and the new one from day one it hit the screen. I have never had any problems with either one. I am online daily for long periods of time and I check in to the chat everytime I am online..... any more there just doesn’t seem to be anyone there....... there will be 3-8 people signed into Divebuddy.com and nobody chatting. I have wondered if the "chat time" has confused folks.... or if it is just because it is summer and everyone is busy?
Paco103 - 7/21/2008 6:56 PM
How about some sort of chat system that uses IRC on the backend? This would enable people to use something other than a browser window if they wished, which are constantly being refreshed and restarted. I’m not familiar with any java applets that could be put on the site to allow access, but I know there’s a lot of options out there. Personally, I use Trillian, which makes it a snap to add irc chats to monitor, something I used to do a lot of. Of course IRC has it’s own set of drawbacks as well, so it’s understandable if you want to stay away from it.