Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

What is a logged dive?
Starky - 9/18/2017 5:02 PM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 22

As the title says, what is a "logged" dive. Does it have to be signed off by a second person? If so, does that person have to be a diver? One of my bucket list items is to dive with sharks. Some of the places that offer those dives say you have to have X number of logged dives. Most of my dives have been solo so even though I filled out my log book, there is nobody to certify it other than my wife who is not a diver. Would those dives count towards my logged dive count.
Subscribed
Resqdivemedic - 9/18/2017 7:15 PM
I personally log all open water dives. Never had my paper log signed by anyone. If I did have it signed it would have been by my buddy, DM, or instructor. I no longer keep a paper log so I don’t worry about it. I wouldn’t worry about not having your log signed to prove you did it. Count all your dives.
Subscribed
JohnDiver123 - 9/18/2017 7:36 PM
Diving seems to rely on the honor system when it comes to logged dives.
Subscribed
JohnDiver123 - 9/19/2017 7:08 AM
Agree. I logged surface exercises in my drysuit.
Subscribed
Starky - 9/19/2017 9:15 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Actually, we’re planning a trip to Cozumel and there are some shark dives offered there. From my research it looks like the DMs are pretty good about judging your abilities before they "throw you to the sharks." I haven’t heard of anybody that has actually had to pull out their log book and prove how many dives they have been on. Plus, the log book is only as accurate and honest as the person who filled it out
Eric_R - 9/19/2017 10:37 AM
I’m with Lat, I log dives as a record of an area or experience. I don’t worry about signing.
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 9/19/2017 10:49 AM
From JohnDiver123: Agree. I logged surface exercises in my drysuit.

Your dive log is just that - yours and you can treat it anyway you wish.

However I would be hard pressed to log a dive for surface exercises - if you meant it to be a journal - then I understand. But for me a logged dive means I was submerged not walking around the house in my drysuit. YMMV
Subscribed
Smithsgold - 9/19/2017 11:00 AM
From LatitudeAdjustment: That being said I have seen instructors and DM’s from limited viz areas with hundreds of dives get to blue water and find out their buoyancy control isn’t what they thought.

Some people have time and depth limits on what they log but I treat my log as a journal, if you aborted that dive it was a learning experience!

I agree 100% !!!!
Subscribed
JohnDiver123 - 9/19/2017 12:18 PM
Your a log snob! :)
Subscribed
JohnDiver123 - 9/19/2017 12:19 PM
I mean you’re a log snob! And you know I’m kidding right?
Subscribed
JohnDiver123 - 9/20/2017 5:36 PM
Well said.
Subscribed
Starky - 9/22/2017 9:52 AM
So far, all my logged dives are on my computer as well so it would be easy to verify my log book. Except for my OW cert in Hawaii, I have not been on a dive in the ocean. All MN and ND lakes although the dive in Hawaii was under heavy surge conditions. I will definitely claim novice status for a dive in Mexico.
Subscribed
MDW - 10/04/2017 7:48 PM
I have not "logged" my dives since about 2003. Last time anyone asked to see my log book, I just showed them the history on my dive computer, which showed my last 30 dives from the past month or 2. I told them to extrapolate that back 15 years to estimate my total dive count. That sort of thing, combined with demonstrated competence in the water usually satisfies most operators.
Subscribed
sdweller - 11/28/2017 2:40 PM
True it does to some extent rely on "honor"...but getting a stamp from the Dive Operator you are diving with for each dive really helps at the Dive Resorts around the world.
Subscribed
Pdillard - 1/04/2018 12:04 PM
Logged Dives .....if you move up in training you might need some required logged dives. I know I did. I use a dive log book with a signature of my dive buddy. I’m also logging dives with my dive computer you can also print that out.........Some activities want you to have current logged dives..... I always log dives (mostly). I know some divers who stopped logging dives over a couple hundred......If you are new to diving log dives that’s the only way you can prove your experience. along with your level of training.
Subscribed
John_giu - 4/11/2018 8:34 PM
Some resorts ie Samdals want to see a log with dive center stamps or at least see dives on your computer. They will limit ypur first dive to a shallow check out dive. The other end of it is dive ops that will board anyone with a pulse. Consider first honestly your ability ro safely do the dive.
Subscribed
CharlesGraves - 4/18/2018 11:57 PM
As I’m sure others have mentioned, logged = a dive that you put into your log book.

You dont necessarily need to put it into the log as soon as you do it... If you remember a dive you did, you can always log it later, to the best of your memory. comes in handy if you are trying to get certified for something where they require a certain number of logged dives
Subscribed
DivemasterInternship - 10/19/2018 6:40 AM
when a diver go down underwater and record the details of his/her dives