Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

What is a logged dive?
Starky - 9/18/2017 5:02 PM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 16

As the title says, what is a "logged" dive. Does it have to be signed off by a second person? If so, does that person have to be a diver? One of my bucket list items is to dive with sharks. Some of the places that offer those dives say you have to have X number of logged dives. Most of my dives have been solo so even though I filled out my log book, there is nobody to certify it other than my wife who is not a diver. Would those dives count towards my logged dive count.
Subscribed
Resqdivemedic - 28 days 17 hours ago.
I personally log all open water dives. Never had my paper log signed by anyone. If I did have it signed it would have been by my buddy, DM, or instructor. I no longer keep a paper log so I don’t worry about it. I wouldn’t worry about not having your log signed to prove you did it. Count all your dives.
Subscribed
JohnDiver123 - 28 days 17 hours ago.
Diving seems to rely on the honor system when it comes to logged dives.
Subscribed
JohnDiver123 - 28 days 5 hours ago.
Agree. I logged surface exercises in my drysuit.
Subscribed
Starky - 28 days 3 hours ago.
Thanks for the info guys. Actually, we’re planning a trip to Cozumel and there are some shark dives offered there. From my research it looks like the DMs are pretty good about judging your abilities before they "throw you to the sharks." I haven’t heard of anybody that has actually had to pull out their log book and prove how many dives they have been on. Plus, the log book is only as accurate and honest as the person who filled it out
Eric_R - 28 days 2 hours ago.
I’m with Lat, I log dives as a record of an area or experience. I don’t worry about signing.
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 28 days 2 hours ago.
From JohnDiver123: Agree. I logged surface exercises in my drysuit.

Your dive log is just that - yours and you can treat it anyway you wish.

However I would be hard pressed to log a dive for surface exercises - if you meant it to be a journal - then I understand. But for me a logged dive means I was submerged not walking around the house in my drysuit. YMMV
Subscribed
Smithsgold - 28 days 1 hour ago.
From LatitudeAdjustment: That being said I have seen instructors and DM’s from limited viz areas with hundreds of dives get to blue water and find out their buoyancy control isn’t what they thought.

Some people have time and depth limits on what they log but I treat my log as a journal, if you aborted that dive it was a learning experience!

I agree 100% !!!!
Subscribed
JohnDiver123 - 28 days ago.
Your a log snob! :)
Subscribed
JohnDiver123 - 28 days ago.
I mean you’re a log snob! And you know I’m kidding right?
Subscribed
BenDavid - 27 days 18 hours ago.
According to PADI, a "dive" is a swim "at any depth below the surface while breathing compressed gas".
According to ScubaPro, a "dive" is a swim "to at least three feet depth while breathing compressed gas."

I don’ think you’ll find any "official" uniform definition. I don’t log dives when I’m assisting with students, although by any definition they are technically "dives". Everything else I normally log.

I’ve never seen any charter or dive service refuse to accept a dive log because there were no signatures. Obviously if you use a digital dive log (Like ScubaPro LogTrak) and you print out your dive log, it isn’t going to have a signature on those printouts.

I never saw the practical need for the "Need to see your dive log" rule. I can sit down and make a dive log in 20 minutes if I wanted to cheat to meet your requirements. I mean really. How many times has that charter service ever called your buddy on the phone who signed your dive log and asked "Did you really dive with Anthony on the Indra in August of 2004?"
Subscribed
FtMyersTom - 26 days 21 hours ago.
My Oceanic computers logs dives automatically after submersion past 3ft. I download all my dives to 2 different log programs, 1 for IOS and 1 for PC. I take my Ipad on every trip and it’s with me when I sign on every dive charter. That way if asked I have my downloaded log and you can’t lie about that. There are times I’m asked and if you are wreck diving in the keys you can expect to be asked no matter which dive shop you use. To dive the wrecks it’s required to have been on a dive over 70ft in the last year. It’s a good rule that protects you from possible injury and a dive shop from liability.

If a person lies you are only cheating yourself and if your diving beyond your qualifications you are only putting yourself in a bad situation. I suppose there are people included to lie but I haven’t been diving with anyone who did.

You should be proud of your diving experience and I have no problem to show it to those who need to know it.
Subscribed
JohnDiver123 - 26 days 19 hours ago.
Well said.
Subscribed
Starky - 25 days 3 hours ago.
So far, all my logged dives are on my computer as well so it would be easy to verify my log book. Except for my OW cert in Hawaii, I have not been on a dive in the ocean. All MN and ND lakes although the dive in Hawaii was under heavy surge conditions. I will definitely claim novice status for a dive in Mexico.
Subscribed
BenDavid - 24 days 22 hours ago.
I think you answered you own Question Tom about why people "lie" on a dive log.

I just got tired of the "I need to be in charge of your life and tell you how to dive because I need to protect you from yourself" bullstuff that is so prevalent in sport diving. That’s why I bought a boat and I go dive wherever the hell I please, to whatever depth I please, on whatever gas mix I please, I log the dive if I feel like it, I do a safety stop if I feel like it, I return the the boat with less than 500 PSI if I please, I do the first dive deeper than the second if I please, I wear my mask on my forehead if I please, I don’t carry a snorkel most of the time, and I haven’t died in my 14 years of diving NC wrecks.

Now my first checkout dive when I got certified was to 75 feet, and I’ve been to 128, so I don’t have to lie, but I think these ridiculous rules are why people do. I’ve seen and heard all kinds of ridiculous "big brother ~ I need to protect you from yourself" bull crap from these dive shops and charter nazi’s who like to enforce their pretend authority.

I’m certified to 130 feet and that certification doesn’t expire, I dive to 110 regularly, sometimes I log that dive, sometimes I don’t, and as far as I have been able to determine thru research, there is no state or federal law that requires me to maintain a dive log, or even be certified for that matter, so no I don’t "need" to show evidence of a dive to 70 feet in the last year.

I only have to kiss rear and play the jump thru the hoops game for "Dive Charter Nazi" if I want to rent their gear or ride on their boat or let them fill my tank. I can fill my own tank from my own compressor and drive my boat out to the same wreck and anchor right beside them, and not even have a dive log, and that’s perfectly legal (at least in America).

I can understand why the Charter Nazi’s are like that though. Life in America would be so much better if we followed Shakespeare advice....."The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers." ~Henry VI, Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2.

:)
Subscribed
MDW - 12 days 17 hours ago.
I have not "logged" my dives since about 2003. Last time anyone asked to see my log book, I just showed them the history on my dive computer, which showed my last 30 dives from the past month or 2. I told them to extrapolate that back 15 years to estimate my total dive count. That sort of thing, combined with demonstrated competence in the water usually satisfies most operators.