Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

GPS anyone?
Saturn5 - 7/10/2008 10:44 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 4

Perhaps an odd question on here, but I figure a lot of people on here travel a lot and some might actually still enjoy driving to some places.. haha I have been looking into a GPS unit for my car. What I’ve kind of landed on right now is the Garmin Nuvi 880. Anyone have one of these or perhaps another you would recommend? (NA maps only not taking it to Europe... piddling driving as well as finding the way to cool new dive sites).
divegirlca - 7/10/2008 11:06 PM

We have the Garmin Nuvi and absolutely love it. One thing about any GPS is they sometimes make you take the long route. My husband travels at least a week a month and takes it with him and finds it invaluable. His parents also have one and they are full-time rv-ing around the country. It also has a lot of great features. I could go on......lol I don’t know where you are looking to purchase a GPS, but Best Buy has an awesome warranty plan.

Happy GPS’ing, Sharyl
LuvinCayman - 7/11/2008 7:47 AM

I am a TOMTOM Fanatic. I just purchased my second TOMTOM 920T - integrated with auto trafic reports - so it identifies broadcast trafic delays and plans alternate routes - it has come down in price since they just came out with the 930T that has route modeling. Route modeling looks at peak trafic times and adjust fastest route by time of day to account for heavy trafic.

The UI on the 920T is huge, easy and very updatable. It connects to my mobile phone for gas pricing - which is very good at the current prices.

If you can find a 920T for less than $300 - go for it...
dalehall - 7/12/2008 9:05 AM

There a few of us around here that all have Garmin. Anywhere from the C-330 up to Nuvi’s. Excellent GPS’. Once you get one and start to trust it, Mapquest will become a distant memory. :) I used a TomTom while I was trying to decide wherther I wanted a GPS or not. It was good enough for me to decide to want a GPS, but it was too "Gimmicky" for me. I don’t need all the extra voices and that stuff. Garmin was a name I trusted because we use that type in the airplane. So, I stuck with the name I knew and trusted. There really aren’t any "bad" GPS’ out there. Just look at what your model has to offer, compared to what you really want in a unit and then price shop between the brands and stores.

Dale
Subscribed
Saturn5 - 7/12/2008 9:40 AM

Thanks everyone for your insight. I’ve seen the tom-tom’s and I hadn’t thought of it until this last comment, but I think the gimicky part is what turned me away.

I had started looking when I found a Nuvi 760 for a reasonable price and I asked a friend his thoughts. He steered me to the 880 (more expensive, but with voice command functions and the one he uses). I thought I should seek some other guidance and ideas just to make sure he wasn’t a bit biased... He’s a garmin programming engineer... haha

Still not quite landed yet, but leaning heavily toward the garmin nuvi 880.