CORAL DERMATITIS??? HELP!
DiveGirl55 - 5/31/2008 11:31 AM
Category: General
Replies: 6

After diving in Cozumel (last dive day May 26), I came home, as normal....

May 29th I reached into my dive bag to get something (all my stuff still in it from the trip). I pulled my hand out and within minutes, it started burning. I looked and the fingers (three of them) were covered with bumps. They burn and sting more than anything. Upon closer inspection, I can visibly see that they ALL have a small black dot in the center of each bump. The bumps are now more swollen and feel ’hard’.

I have added the IMAGES under my photos, so you can view them to hopefully help me! THANKS

I am hoping someone can tell me info on how to get rid of them. As I do not want to get infested (or whatever) with bacteria and marine life , nor do I want to become sick from this (if I am not already???).

note I did NOT touch any coral while diving. This has to be something left on my wetsuit or other dive gear. Maybe something brush up against coral???

cpjmazz - 5/31/2008 2:15 PM
Firstly, I think this is a GREAT forum post - like the idea that you’re harnessing the knowledge of the greater dive community to answer your questions!!! When I saw your photos it brought me back to my recent experience while diving in Saba... during one of my ascents up a mooring line I brushed up on several clear jellyfish tentacles (which type I have no idea) and instantly began to feel a burning hot pain on my left hand. After boarding the boat I mentioned this to one of our dive masters who advised that I pour vinegar over the area of contact. Doing so didn’t do much for the discomfort like I hoped and within several days the area became increasingly red and sensitive to touch. Within about 2 weeks the the burning and sensitivity lessened but the skin which came in contact w/ the tentacles began to scale and shed. This was just over one month ago and all noticeable signs of the stinging incident have lifted. I too was shocked and a bit alarmed about what was happening but I don’t recall the black dots on the bumps I noticed. Perhaps this was in fact a coral or another variety of jellyfish. Don’t fret too much unless the rash/sting area spreads; it’s mostly superficial. :) ~Chris
GypsyDiver - 5/31/2008 2:54 PM
this has some information about dematitis and other ailments

http://www.scuba-doc.com/derm.htmlSwimmer%27s%20itch

give local doctor a call or call DAN

Reach DAN by Phone:
  • Diving Emergencies (Remember: Call local EMS first, then DAN!)
    1-919-684-8111
    1-919-684-4DAN (collect)
    1-800-446-2671 (toll-free)
    +1-919-684-9111 (Latin America Hotline)
    International Emergency Hotlines
  • Travel Assistance for Non-Diving Emergencies
    1-800-DAN-EVAC (1-800-326-3822)
    If outside the USA, Canada, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, British or U.S. Virgin Islands, call +1-919-684-3483 (collect).
  • Non-Emergency Medical Questions
    1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948, Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm (ET)
  • All Other Inquiries
    1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948
NWKatShark - 6/01/2008 8:54 PM
I agree Valentina, GO SEE A DOCTOR, and contact DAN.

Please let us know how it comes out.

Larry
Subscribed
DiveGirl55 - 6/03/2008 5:07 PM
It has been 6 days now and it only seems like the bumps are ’merging’ into one big bump eventually. They are smoother and flatter but still prominent and red. I already put vinegar, ammonia and soappy water on them but to no avail. I also tried hydrocortizone on them...nothing!
Eve - 6/04/2008 7:58 AM
Sounds like you have done everything , well maybe not everything , get to a Doctor !