Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Traditions?
dalehall - 3/07/2008 9:09 AM
Category: General
Replies: 6

This got brought up this morning in conversation.. When I soloed an airplane for the first time, they cut the tail off my shirt and all the instructors and my family signed it. So, we started thinking about scuba tradition..

One guy said it`s tradition that you do your 100th dive naked. Anyone ever heard of that one?

What are some of the tradtions you`ve heard of?? Whether it`s for a certain number dive, getting a certain cert (Instructor/DM etc) or whatever.. Thanks, **D**
RAWalker - 3/07/2008 10:57 AM
I`m starting to hear music from Fiddler on the Roof now.
Subscribed
dalehall - 3/07/2008 12:06 PM
Another place I asked this question has gotten some answers.. A lot of people have heard the "Dive Naked" one at 100. Thay`ve listed a few others, but I`m starting to notice, there aren`t many "Rites of Passage" after you get the handshake from your Instructor for getting to the next level. I guess it`s time to make some up. :)

**D**
mo - 3/07/2008 12:13 PM
I will have to make sure that my 100th dive is when I am away on holiday in nice warm sea, for sure I am not going to do a naked dive here in the UK.
froggiepatrol - 3/10/2008 7:00 AM
I`d be interested in knowing if anyone has actually ever done this (dive naked). The thought personally is not appealing no matter what number the dive is. :) If you find someone who says they have be sure to ask them what there dive buddy thought of the view. :)
Grayfox - 3/13/2008 12:05 PM
Well I only have my 4 Open Water Dives that I did in Durban, South Africa. When me and my girl finished our final dive they waited for us to take off all our gear and told us to "come here look at this" at the side of the boat...next thing we knew they threw us off into the ocean with nothing but our wetsuits and started screaming "Watch out Tiger Shark!" Of course I flew back into the boat like superman without fins or any assistance from anyone. Once we were on the boat they all started laughing and said "Congradulations, you`re certified now." That`s the tradition for PADI Calypso in Ushaka Marine World in Durban, South Africa. It sure got my heart pumping :D It was fun.
shoupart - 3/13/2008 6:08 PM
I like the idea of a tradition, but I would NOT wanna dive naked in SoCal waters! it`s cold enough, enough with a 7mil suit!