Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Newbie Needs Advice - What Scuba Gear to Buy?
codfishhead - 4/12/2013 7:48 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 9

Just signed up yesterday for my first scuba class at the end of this month. Can’t wait. The place I’m getting certified in also rents gear. Figure this will be good to try a few diff setups.

I def want to buy my own gear. I don’t want to start off buying beginner type gear and work up. Would like to insure as I go from beginner to deep diving my gear is up to par.

Need some recommendations for what to look for and buy. I don’t really have a budget. Wife won’t be happy If I spend a vacations worth on gear but if need be so be it.

Is used gear worth hunting for? Does it matter how old? Are there any great deals on packages? What should I stay away from and why?

Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thank you

Jay
Subscribed
codfishhead - 4/12/2013 7:49 AM
Sorry. No idea why it’s skipping lines.
Subscribed
Green_Achers - 4/12/2013 9:06 AM
I’ve been diving since September (23 dives so I’m just ahead of you) and I’ve collected most all my gear used. There’s a ton of old junk people think they can sell but every now and then, a reasonable item at a reasonable price is posted. If you’re time doesn’t allow shopping, it will be best to pay more and buy new.

One place I’d be careful is getting a computer. You can pay between $50 (for the right used deal) to $2000 (for a new top of the line). Since this is a vital item to your safety and enjoyment, I’d encourage you to do your homework and don’t buy someone’s old junker. I really like the Aladin Pro that I bought ($50) but I had to replace the battery (in the oil filled case by the way) and it only works for compressed air (so no nitrox possibility). Works great so I’m happy with it - for now.
Eric_R - 4/15/2013 6:31 PM
I don’t think I have ever heard anybody say their gear was junk. Think of it, were all relying on this to be able to survive under water. If the gear was junk the user isn’t here to tell about it.LOL I’m diving on the same regulators I bought in 1987. They work flawless under all condition from tropic to ice dives. Brand doesn’t matter as long as your trust your equipment, you’ll enjoy diving and have a great time.
Indiana - 4/15/2013 6:54 PM
First you need to know want kind of diving you will be doing.If doing all warm water diving any balance reg will do .Just make sure it is balanced reg.My opinion go with a back inflation bc,Plate and wing ,transpack,or bcd .Not the greatest on the surface but will make it easier to swin level in the water.Mask ,what ever feels comfortable and makes a good seal on your face.Fins, I think Mares makes he best fins but I use frog fins .they work best off NJ.Exposure suit.it dependswhere you will be diving and how your body handles the temp.Buy a dive computor.It does not have to be very expensive one.Just make sure it does nitrox.Have fun and dive safe
WarmWaterTurner - 4/16/2013 6:57 AM
Welcome to diving, Jay!

First, slow down. Talk to folks. Do your home work. I have been in diving for about 40 years. In that time I have completely reconfigured my equipment about three times. Since, you are just getting started the only piece of advise that I would give you at this moment it to make sure that everything you buy fits you perfect - it completely comfortable and is easy to understand. If something makes you fuss on the surface - it will be a nightmare underwater and ruin your diving experience. Go slow - ask questions -

Once again, welcome!
Subscribed
codfishhead - 7/28/2013 6:11 AM
Thank you for all the good advice. I’I’ve been busy enjoying the summer with trips to RI and the Cape at least once a week. Finally got my partying schedule to meet the dive boat schedule. Open waters dives completed. Certification card in hand.

So my plan was to buy a package from Orbits. Had a nice setup for around 900 from Oceanic. Then I was offered a BCD from a friend for 50 bucks. Done. Then I came across a friend that purchased a bunch of gear 8 yrs ago and only used it that summer. Had to take it. Looks brand spanken new. I still plan to buy a new setup but figured to get started this will do plus I can pass it on to get others involved in scuba.

The brand of equipment is PROSUB. Did some searching and found it stop being distributed in the US around 10 yrs ago. Still a brand in business in Germany. I took apart the regs and they look perfect. Nothing dry rotted. I’m going to get a tank today and check out the gages and do a little shallow water diving to check it out. Anyone filler with this brand? They are PROSUB XTRA regs.

I plan on doing a lot of local diving. Would love to dive with more experienced divers so I can learn the ropes. I’ll post in the buddy section for that.

Thanks again for all the advice and PLEASE give me any more on my new gear. Would really like to get extra replacement parts for everything.

Jay
Subscribed
codfishhead - 7/28/2013 6:15 AM
Sorry don’t see an edit. Also I’m not making those large spaces. No clue why that’s happening.

Anyone familiar with this brand (PROSUB)?