Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Newbie boat question
codfishhead - 4/02/2013 11:39 AM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 9

Hello all. So new I’ve yet to take the course.

Classes starting end of April. I did start free diving last year. Had a ball. I’m also a die hard fisherman and plan on harvesting anything good to eat while scube diving.

I have a 17’3" CC boat. Just free diving I load the heck out of it with gear. Now with the added tanks and such, will it be to much for my boat? I have a ladder I hook over the side. no platform on the back. Very stable boat. It’s an Angler.

what is the smallest boat you use to scuba out of? Any tips on carrying gear in them?

By the way, I live in CT. I fish anywhere there’s fish. Morn I could be in Bpt and jet across to can 9 over in LI to fluke fish and then back to West Haven to take some Blacks off a wreck. I run to RI and fishers area a couple times a week once the striper run kicks in.

Thank you

Jay
Subscribed
Greg - 4/02/2013 12:21 PM
If divers can scuba from a kayak, I’m sure a 17’ boat can fit some gear. Either get some tank holders for the side of the boat, or just lay the tanks down inside a well or other compartment. Be sure to secure tanks with your wet suit, towel, bean bag, etc. I dove on a boat that had a few bean bags to sit on, but when we hauled gear, we used the bean bags as cushion for the tanks.
Eric_R - 4/02/2013 3:05 PM
I have a 14’ Starcraft v-hull that I setup for diving. I made a small platform that hangs over the back to each side of the motor keel. Moved the fuel tank to the front and have an extra large anchor that helps keep the nose of the boat down when entering and exiting the water. Usually put tank and BC on and take it off in the water. It’s a great easy to launch setup and it gets to those spots the big boys can’t.
Hansdown - 4/02/2013 3:32 PM
On the smaller boats (and in most all casses) we gear up before heading out. BC, tank and reg are put in as one unit (Wt. pockets filled or belt goes on boat). Depending on weather, exposure suit is half or fully on. That just leaves mask, fins, hood and gloves in a net type bag of similar, for each person. As mentioned prior, taking your BC off in the water (inflate and clip it to a line) is a good idea, then retrive it once on board. Getting in the habbit of stowing your gear right away (back into the bag) once on board, reduces clutter in small places, keeps Your gear together, and will be appreciated when diving on others boats. (I don’t mean to sound snobish about this - it is just what I do and really appreciate seeing others doing it too.)

I have friends that still bring all their gear along in a big tote, and that is fine when there is only a couple diving. And by the way... even tho I have a swim platform on my boat, I still love the "back roll"... watching the surface and bubbles going up as I am upside down on entry.
divingbear - 4/02/2013 5:16 PM
3 men 2 of us divers 1 tender. Full gear, sonar, camera’s with monitors, batteries, etc, all in an 8’ foot row boat, with a trolling mtr. Don bc’s in the boat and back roll in. Nothing got wet that wasn’t supposed to.
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/03/2013 6:30 AM
That’s about the same as my 8’ lifeboat, getting back in I clip the gear on to the lifelines/grab lines, climb in and then pull the gear aboard. There is a picture of the boat in my profile.
Subscribed
codfishhead - 4/03/2013 10:15 AM
Thank you for all the replies. Sounds like I shouldn’t have an issue in my boat.

I free dive with 3 or 4 people on my boat and had no problems. Just a crap load of gear floating around. Guess I shouldn’t say freedive per I never freedive without a speargun in my hand after my first couple practice dives last year. Saw a 12lb black fish on my very first dive in 15’ of water. After that I’ll never go under without my gun.lol Have seen many trophy blacks since. Nice to be able to pick out the males and let the larger females go to breed.

As stated I’m a newbie so please be patiant with me. I could right a novel of questions right now. Any and all help is much apriciated.

Just found out my fireman buddies can fill my tanks for free. Guess I need to go buys some tanks along with everything else.
JackTrevally - 4/03/2013 5:49 PM
Just wanted to give you a heads up that some people feel it is bad form to spearfish while on scuba, although freediving is legit.

Just sayin’. I don’t spearfish.
Subscribed
codfishhead - 4/04/2013 7:49 AM
OOPS Keep forgetting about the purest. I get whacked for mentioning scuba to free divers / spear fishermen as well.

I just cut the bands on my spear guns and tossed 27 fishing poles in the trash.

Ready to dive.
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/04/2013 12:27 PM
I think even the purest know that spearing causes less bycatch than fishing or nets, not a Spearo myself and nothing against them as long as they don’t spear around me in limited viz!