Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Cheap, short haul dives???
stevenu1 - 12/19/2012 6:03 PM
Category: General
Replies: 9

What is a good way to find out about cheap local dives? I’ve spent too much for this year to be travelling very far and spending a lot more money, but my son and I would like to get a little more dive experience without flying and spending all week at it. We are both new to diving - Open Water certified just this September (9-23/12). I tried ScubaEarth but it still has a few bugs and I gave up. I didn’t see any forum topics here that addressed local dive sites. Is this just not a popular subject?
Eric_R - 12/19/2012 6:13 PM
Hi Steven. This feature was just added,
Welcome aboard.
http://www.divebuddy.com/forum/25333/new-feature-local-diving-info/
Agojo - 12/19/2012 7:43 PM
Hi Steven,

I see you are 3 hours from Branson. Don’t know if you consider this local but there is good inland diving at Table Rock Lake, and Beaver Lake is a little bit further but also better diving. Try C & J Sports Beaver Lake and Happy Hollow Resort near Branson Missouri were my favorite places when I lived in Wichita. Happy Hollow has a decent price on an old pontoon boat if you stay there, shore diving at resort isn’t very good but pontoon opens up the whole lake. C&Js is near the dam where you can go to the "bluffs" for really good shore diving, especially for novice. Once we got to know Jim (owner) of C&Js he would let us rent his speed boat for diving. Really great people at both locations but shore diving best at C&Js. You may want to look up DUI dry suits and see when they have the spring DUI Days at Beaver Lake, chance to try a dry suit for very minimal price, take your instructor with you and get certified.
Subscribed
Greg - 12/19/2012 7:54 PM
And I suppose the ScubaEarth you referred to with bugs, was PADIs site that tried to copy ours? We created Scuba Earth first. And I fix all bugs within minutes of being reported.
Subscribed
Greg - 12/19/2012 8:01 PM
You should be pretty close to Dive Stop, they are listed in the dive site section on DiveBuddy.
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/20/2012 9:01 AM
From Greg: And I suppose the ScubaEarth you referred to with bugs, was PADIs site that tried to copy ours? We created Scuba Earth first. And I fix all bugs within minutes of being reported....
Thanks Greg for figuring that out that it was probably PADI’s because I’ve never seen any bugs in DB’s Scuba Earth other than some members living in the ocean, something we all wished we could do :)
John_giu - 12/21/2012 2:03 PM
Search DIVE BUDDY members by ZIP CODE and distance.

You can find local divers and info.
Subscribed
stevenu1 - 12/21/2012 10:26 PM
Wow! Thanks to everyone who responded! This seems to be a very active forum. I appreciate the feedback on ScubaEarthj. I thought it was just a link to PADI’s version. I have tried it out since and realize it works much better than PADI’s. Now I also have a lot to research on local dives. I am considering something in the Branson area or Arkansas. Maybe in early spring.

Thanks again! I will check back often.