Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving Texas
Amanda1 - 12/05/2012 3:39 PM
Category: General
Replies: 5

Moved to Corpus Christi, Tx. 4 months ago and haven’t had any luck finding dive sites with decent visablility. Any sugguestions? Thanks
Greg - 12/05/2012 7:47 PM
You’re all the way down in Corpus! Not sure if the viz will be any good, but if I lived that close to the Texas Clipper, I’d want to go dive it. Check out the Scuba Earth section on DiveBuddy for other dive sites around you, there are a couple oil rigs just off shore that sound cool. Maybe you can start spear fishing!
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/06/2012 5:49 AM
The only Texas diving I have done has been out at the Flower Gardens and on the oil rigs, great diving and great viz :)

http://www.flingcharters.com/ is a converted work boat, not a deluxe liveaboard but lots of diving for the buck.

If we got blown out the Clipper was plan B but that didn’t happen.
Dutch - 12/09/2012 4:40 PM
There used to be a boat that went out of Port A for diving the rigs. Not sure if he is still there. The further south along the coast you go from Galveston the nearer to shore the clear water is. Fling is out of Freeport. There are a few smaller operations as well. The next real options are in South Padre. American Divers is the name of the most important of those in SPI. They can take you to the Clipper or several different rigs at various distances from shore. There is also the option fo diving in the lakes of Texas. The lakes in the Hill Country used to be reasonably clear but as the drought continues and the water levels are continually low, viz has disappeared. The rivers in that area are very clear and 68 to 72 F year round. They tend to have clear water as well as they are spring fed. The Frio has several deep spots but they are on private property and unless you know where they are and get permission... The Comal is good for drifting down stream while watching the fish.

Good luck.
BgDmbRngr - 12/10/2012 10:37 AM
Well I am up in San Antonio and want to try and dive on weekends again. Wife dives as well but with 2 kids we don’t get to dive together anymore.
Subscribed
Walden - 5/31/2013 7:40 PM
We dive out of Freeport check out our web sight www.piratescharter.com I’ll put you in the blue water.