Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

What type dry suit
divingbear - 11/12/2012 5:25 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 7

I have questions as to dry suit shell types. I have dove with trylam, and rubber, I liked the Viking seemed warmer, sturdy but more cumbersome, rear entery sucked. The OS trylam was light, easy to don doff, but doesn’t seem as durable. Any opinions on the different types, durability, longevity, etc, would be great.
Thanks
Ben
WarmWaterTurner - 11/13/2012 7:47 AM
Hey Ben -

I have been diving a DUI TLS350 for going on three years now. I love it! It is very easy to get in and out of. I do not use the attachable gloves - thats when getting in and out really gets complicated. If you have never tried a DUI or even a Whites, I would. Yes, they are a little pricy and do require more care than a regular wetsuit but it sure is nice being dry and toasty for winter fun.

Best,

Ben
Subscribed
divingbear - 11/13/2012 4:40 PM
Thanks for the info.
OUBobcat - 11/13/2012 8:09 PM
If you are interested in buying a drysuit...

1) go the the shops and rent a couple different kinds they have if they have rentals available. Can’t get much better opinion on a suit than actually diving it.

2) if not pressed for time or don’t need it this winter try some different suits at demo days. DUI and Whites both have demo days that travel the country.

I did my AOW cert in a OS suit and ya it kept me dry but just didn’t fit right. It felt like I had a huge gut I was carrying around. The waist was entirely too big. I went to the DUI demo and tried that and knew with the fit; that was the suit for me.
DiveBuddyChgo - 11/14/2012 5:06 PM
I dove with a Viking Drysuit made of heavy shell for 15 years. The rubber lasted the seams didn’t. It had a lot of use until it wasn’t worth repairs anymore. I replaced it with a cheaper shell drysuit that was lighter in weight. After about 5 years of wreck diving it is still water tight. Works just fine and keeps the water out. The cheaper lighter weight fabric suit is much more flexable and comfortable. The shell keeps ya dry. The undergarments is what keeps a toasty. I would go with the cheaper lite weight dry suit again when this one wears out. So far so good. The back entry is much more fitting and streamlined. The front entry has a lot of material that folds over in the front so you can get into the suit. That makes you have some extra drag threw the water. Hope this helps. Mike B.
WB2GLP - 11/15/2012 6:26 AM
If money is not an issue or if you don’t fit in "off the rack" sizes, DUI is the best way to go. They are a very customer centric company. I was measured for a custom suit while I was at a local dive show. To my surprise, I was measured by Susan Long, the President and CEO. I have never met a DUI owner who regretted their purchase.

If you can fit in stock sizes, you’re lucky because you will have more options. I fit perfectly in a Pinnacle Freedom 2 Large Short. It’s a great suit at a great price. Warranty is one year on suit 90 days on seals. DUI on the other hand has a 7 year warranty on the suit with 1 year on the zipper and valves, 90 day on seals.

I’ve owned my Pinnacle for 4 years now and it has held up very well. I have no complaints. After well over 200 dives in it, I will be replacing the seals this winter since they are starting to degrade. DUI Zips seals would be easier to replace and less of a sticky mess, but you pay more for the suit going in.
Subscribed
divingbear - 12/06/2012 5:30 PM
Update. I picked up a barely used DUI 450 signature, w/ zip seals. The suit is in mint condition w/ uncut seals, I can’t wait to dive it.