Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

My girlfriends hair issues
lerpy - 9/07/2011 6:35 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 9

So I am posting to get some info for my girlfriend and dive buddy. She has issue with her hair going all over the place when diving. When it is cold enough for hoods it is not a problem but in the warmer water she does not want to wear the hood but is looking for something that will cover her head. When we were diving last night there was a woman on the boat wearing what looked like a bandana that was elastic or head band in style but also had the material to cover over her head and hair, then she put her mask over this. The hair elastic is used but still the hair comes out and all over the place. Any ladies ( or of course men with long hair) have any suggestions. Anyone know what these headband/banadanas are. I figure a regular bandana will just slip off.
bluesky4u_6 - 9/07/2011 8:18 PM
Well if you don’t mind the trouble of putting a swim cap on, that might work, but I think you are looking for this. You can most likely find it cheaper on another site, but I just found this by googling lol. Some call it a scuba doo rag, and it comes in alot of neat designs. Hope this helps! =)

http://www.scubagearplus.com/products.asp?cat=480
LatitudeAdjustment - 9/08/2011 8:31 AM
Most use a ScubaDoo and some wear the funny beanies out there with sharkfins, Viking horns, wigs, etc on them.
ScubaDreaminn - 9/08/2011 10:35 AM

I don’t know what the official lingo is (Michael probably does), but a friend of ours uses a motorcycle head wrap when she dives. Has a really cool flame one, can always spot her that way under the water. I have long hair and I just braid mine in two braids as it kepts it from tangling that way.

DeAnn

meltonart - 9/18/2011 1:07 AM
http://scubadorag.com/
MDW - 1/04/2012 3:20 PM
use a beanie style hood. It’s not hot like a regular hood, and does not cover the neck at all. Usually they are made of 1 or 2 mm neoprene and just have a small chin strap to keep them from popping off your head. I have 2 and love them for warmer water. With long hair, one of these should keep all that hair going straight out the back like a pony tail and out of you face and out of all your gear.
Intenseroman - 1/14/2012 9:39 AM
The easiest way to control her hair is what I suggest for my students.

I sell them a Neoprene "Split" Mask Strap. Then I have them put their hair in a ponytail and insert the ponytail through the neoprene strap. That keeps the hair under control and the mask stays securely where the diver wants it.

Take care
itsanewday - 2/25/2012 5:41 PM
I have a Lycra swim cap. It’s like swimsuit material, not latex or silicone like athletic swim caps. It’s much more comfortable to take on and off than the latex or silicone. If I braid my hair back, I can tuck it in really quick and it doesn’t look toooooo bad when I take off the cap.
smileyg - 5/20/2012 6:26 AM
Most biker shops have what they call doorags that work fine with keeping the hair in place and many varied styles.