Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Alomost died due to my stupidity
dynamiteone - 7/07/2007 5:39 PM
Category: Training
Replies: 6

I`ve had the misfortune to get the bends because I was stupid and decided to dive alone. I only have an open water certification and foolishly thought I could handle a 100 foot dive alone, for whatever reason I ran out of air, I wasn`t watching my air consumption and was more nervous being down so deep and got scared when air ran out and didn`t remember what to do or was so scared I wasn`t thinking. So I went up very fast needless to say I was very lucky that day that there were other boaters in the area scuba diving as I had passed out and would of died without there assistance. I learned valuable lessons that day never never dive alone, and never over estimate your skills. I`ve dove several times since and nothing like this has ever happened to me again, I`m just hoping that to how ever might read this story, and is thinking of diving alone will reconsider that decision as they might not be as lucky as I was that day.
DivetrainerPete - 7/08/2007 8:37 PM
Just to put things in perspective. I am a dive shop owner, with over 400 dives in the north atlantic off NJ. I was supposed to dive today but my gear was at my shop. I was set to use gear I keep at my house. Unfortunately I did not have my knife, light, backup light or reel. So even though I paid $85.00 to dive I blew off the dive, ate the loss and feel none the worse for it. Just due to not being properly equipped. Could I have done the dive? Probably. But I practice what I teach: Remember the basics of training: 1. Dive with a buddy, 2. stay within the limits of your training and experience, 3. it is Ok to blow off a dive if you are not comfortable for any reason. I hope your situstaion will assist some other new diver not to make the same mistakes. I`m glad you`re ok. Pete PADI OWSI 185950 www.divetrainers.com
psjanssen - 7/09/2007 12:49 PM
I have heard there are some training agencies that offer solo diver courses. You may want to look into those, as well as reliable backup air source (Spareair, pony bottle, etc) if you do any more solo dives. Otherwise stay above 60` as per your training, and dive with a buddy...
NWKatShark - 7/20/2007 4:42 PM
Glad you made it out ok. However, I don`t think it`s fair to slam Solo Diving because it almost killed you. You put yourself in a position that you were obviously not qualified to be in. You panicked and you didn`t have any back-up gear. That kind of panic and inattentiveness could have killed you in 10 feet of water, even with a buddy. For others reading this, SEEK and OBTAIN the PROPER TRAINING, PRACTICE and carry the CORRECT GEAR for the dive. And, oh yeah. Cats are bad. I know because I was scratched by one! So, let`s kill all the cats!?
DiverParamedic - 10/26/2007 8:12 AM
If you get the chance go to the Diver`s Alert Networks site and look at the Annual Diving Reports (Report on Decompression Illness, and Fatalities). For me it was a stark reminder that lack of attention to detail can get you killed. I was given the 2006 Report by a member of the DAN faculity, after telling him I had a "stroke of the stupids" and did a reverse profile dive to 130` after being at 40` for 30 minutes. Even on EAN 32% I got Nitrogen Narcosis, luckly I was able to keep my wits and ascend SLOWLY! Like someone else said, know your limitations, plan your dive and dive your plan. HM1 Jerry Boyd, USN SFDIC/NREMTP/Dive Master
Alberto - 1/17/2008 11:59 AM
Eanx breathing can´t smooth narcosis.Only trimix does it.And fellas don´t forget plans:a simple, involving air consumption and slow ascent and safety deco,using the third rule for deep dive and many,many low-vis dives.And for default:a rescue plan,preferably a whole one.
Spearshell - 1/22/2008 6:06 AM
I guess everybody hit the strong points already. I guess you were not ready for solo diving. This will most likely stop you from solo diving again. Thats too bad, if you were properly trained and of course knew your limits (that comes with knowledge and alot of diving) it would have been very rewarding.