Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Balanced Regs
Gavkearney - 6/08/2009 7:13 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 8

Hi,

I’m looking to buy a new regulator set and I’m looking for advice. I have been looking at the ScubaPro MK11 and MK25. One has a balanced diaphragm while the other has a balanced piston design.
Can anyone recommend which would be better, or indeed any other reg they feel is good? Price is a constraint for me so basically I’m looking for good equipment for a reasonable price.

I mainly dive in Ireland, so temperatures are usually around 8-14 C, and max depths of about 30 metres.

Thanks
OLDSCHOOL - 6/08/2009 9:00 PM
I have the Mk25 with the S555 second stage. I am very happy with it. However, for cold water diving (45 degrees and below), all reviews and divers I have spoken to recommend the Mk 17 over the Mk 25. Price wise, the Mk 17 falls somewhere between the Mk 11 and the Mk 25. The S555 is the same second stage as the S600 without the airflow adjustment. In the future, I will probably purchase a S600 as my primary and use the S555 as my backup.
steelheadfish - 6/12/2009 12:15 PM
i have a mk25 w/ a g250 and i dive cold water 40 degrees on average to depths of 100 to 115 feet or so, and the outside air temp has been as low as 20 degrees with no problems, breaths sweet! and here in the states your anual maint for parts is free you only pay labor. good luck!
scubaclay - 6/13/2009 9:26 AM
I always go with the piston, and balanced is a must. Balancing will make the reg, breath the same at 90 ft as 30 ft.
csemenko - 6/13/2009 10:22 PM
I love the MK17 and my wife dives one now. I know several people who love the MK25 and tell me it is personal preference on diaphragm vs. piston and I’ve been told decide if you desire to be able to quickly adjust your regulator or use a shim. Good luck
DiveBuddyChgo - 6/14/2009 5:35 AM
I have been diving cold water 30-45 dergrees, 100 ft depths for 20 years... For the last 2 years I have been diving with the Atomic’s B1/T2 and the Atomic’s B1/Z2... I have had no free flows and the breathing is so easy even at depths, I notice no change of resistance at all.. Also when not in use the valves and seals are not pressed against any metal while in storage.. So 5 years in the closet and they still work just fine...
aquawookie - 6/15/2009 2:11 AM
One point to remember about the Mk 11 or 17 is the spacing of the ports. If you want to use a hoseless dive computer you will need to use a MK 25 due to the greater spacing between the ports. I have several MK25’s and they are excellent regs. The parts program makes ownership more affordable as you only pay for the labor. This can be a significant saving over the life of the reg. There are Scubapro Dealers in Ireland, I just don’t know where.

Atomic regs are good also but slightly more expensive. There is no dealer for Atomic Aquatics listed for ROI/NI so the servicing may have to be done in the UK.

Take a look at the Aqualung Legend series. A good reg on a par with the Mk25/600 but slightly cheaper. Balanced diaphram 1st and balanced 2nd stages. There are Aqualung dealers in Ireland. Again, not sure where anymore.
Apeks is also a Aqualung brand and is considered one of the best regs for technical divers in cold water enviroments.

Scubapro, Aqualung & Atomic all have a no internet sales clause in their dealer contracts. Be cautious of online sales of these brands. The seller may not be an authorised dealer.

Hope this helps.
BoxsterMan - 11/05/2009 7:05 AM
Last time I checked, you could buy Scuba Pro from Leisure Pro over the Internet.

Just be careful, Scuba Pro is actively reducing their dealer base, and as a result, there service. Service may no longer be as close as your local dive shop.