Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diver Trends
deidre - 5/14/2009 1:19 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 4

I’m interested in your opinion regarding currents trends with dive travel. Are more divers traveling in large groups? Do divers travel solo? How do you decide how to book your holiday - online or through an agent? I usually travel alone, but would be interested in organizing groups to travel together. I think we could get some better rates as a group - plus I think it would be great fun to share experiences with others! Thanks for your feedback!
divemaiden - 5/14/2009 6:12 AM
I now do both. When I first started diving, I didn’t know any other divers, so I traveled alone and signed up with charter boats at my destination (which can add up to a lot of "ca-ching" if you want to do a lot of diving). A few years ago I joined a dive club to do local shore diving, and I’ve gone on a dive trip with a small group of them. We did mainly shore diving. I also recently signed up with my lds for a big dive trip to the Red Sea which will depart this Sept. This is my first big trip with a big group, so I won’t know if I like it until I try it.
LatitudeAdjustment - 5/14/2009 11:43 AM

Yes to all, I’ve done a bunch of trips with SingleDivers.com which is large groups, a few trips with LDS’s, a local group that rents a home in Cozumel every year, Board trips (D2D) to the Channel Islands, Texas Flower Gardens, Bahamas and the Galapagos and booked a few myself with buddies I’ve met along the way.

The only trips I’ll do solo are liveaboards where it is always easy to make friends.

Booking air to some difficult spots can require an agent, Roatan Charters has actually gotten me better prices to Utila and Roatan than I could find online.

If you are putting together a trip to someplace on my wish list I will come!

If you are uncomfortable putting together all of the details Nekton Cruises and Ken at Ultimate Dive Travel have done it for trips I have been on. The one Ken put together for a D2D trip to Bali/Wakatobi was better and cheaper than the one I booked through SingleDivers. The diver just calls and says he/she is part of the group, for every ten or so there is a free spot and the group gets to divide that up to reduce our price.
seawolfdiving - 5/14/2009 2:46 PM

I mostly travel alone, because I am alone. I have fun meeting new people that way. But, from time to time I do get together with a group of friends and take a dive trip.

It depends upon the type of diving that I will be doing. If I’m planning on doing the deeper, more complex stuff then I prefer to have other divers who I know and trust to dive with. If I’m just out to see the reef or do shallow recreational; then usually I go alone and hook up with other divers who I might not know.

Subscribed
deidre - 5/14/2009 4:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have never been to the Red Sea but have heard the diving is amazing. I hope you have a fantastic time!