Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

How should I keep away scammers?
Greg - 4/26/2007 8:58 PM
Category: General
Replies: 10

Does anyone have any good suggestions to keep people from sending scam messages? I thought about limiting the number of duplicate messages to a certain number...OR removing the ability to send a message to all the buddies on your buddy list. Both of those could also keep honest people from using the message service as it was intended (to keep in contact with all your buddies). What about a better verfication process when signing up? Not sure how to do that though unless there was a way to lookup dive certification id`s or call everyone by phone or something.

Anyone have any ideas that you know have worked before?

Thanks! Greg
Subscribed
Greg - 4/26/2007 9:11 PM
I just thought of something...I use this process on another website of mine to make it a little harder to do repetitive things. What if I randomly show a code on the message page, and before a message can be sent, you must type in the code. That doesn`t keep people from doing it...just makes it harder and more time consuming and may deter them from doing it so much. Thoughts?
Subscribed
Greg - 4/26/2007 9:18 PM
AND...THIS IDEA IS COOL! What if I gave you all the ability to suspend someones profile? Of course it would take more than one member to do that. Maybe if 5 or more members voted to suspend someone, then it`s automatically done without me having to do anything???
okmister1 - 4/27/2007 12:20 AM
I like what myspace does with incoming messages. There is a link that sasy spam and another that says abuse. Both send the message on to myspace for review and action if necessary. It would mean more work for you that`s for sure.
Dorkfish - 4/27/2007 3:54 AM
I like okmister`s idea. If you offer up the opportunity for members to boot out someone, then you`re looking at needing designated forum moderators just to cover your own back-side. The "super secret password" isn`t much of a deterrant.

BUT, the idea that someone can report you for spam or undesireable content is pretty discouraging to most. Though you will have some that will completely disregard that, as one of our dive-goddesses has found out recently.

If that is a route of choice, then be sure to provide a disclaimer/warning in the membership disclosure that will inform potential members that spamming and undesireable content in any section of the forum or messages will not be tolerated and may result in the user being barred from specific sections or completely from the forum.
Dorkfish - 4/27/2007 3:55 AM
Almost forgot. Be sure you have an IP address tracking software so that you can block specific problematic IP addresses.
DalelynnSims - 4/27/2007 6:19 AM
I manage a few web sites and this can be a problem. One thing that we have deployed is a security code that I am sure some of you ahve seen. Its fuzzy or distorted numbers or the like that you have to type in correctly for the message to pass. It seems to keep away the computer generated spam.

I will however say that full monitoring is way to time consuming. Once however someone is reported is there a way to monitor just them. I nkow that not all software packages allow this and again it becomes the managers pain to maintain.

hope this helps

Best FIshes!! [
Subscribed
Greg - 4/27/2007 10:00 AM
Anyone know where I can get the fuzzy code? I`ve looked around a bunch...but can`t seem to find a good, cheap one to use.

BTW, I added the code to the message section and I removed the ability to Send a Message from the search results page (this made it easy for someone to go down the list of results and click Send Message without first having to view the member profile).
Subscribed
Greg - 4/27/2007 10:19 AM
I also just added a 25 message limit for everyone per day. Does that seem like enough for honest people?
okmister1 - 4/28/2007 3:02 PM
I`m not sure exactly how the spam function works at myspace but I`ve always assumed it was a forward that an admin type could look at and see the offending message. It`s usually fairly obvious what`s going on in those types of messages on myspace, hell half the time it`s the same message over and over again. If the message is questionable, say someone is sending scuba related spam thinking that a forum like this wouldn`t consider such a targeted groups spam, you could simply warn them. Self policing by members is how ebay does most of its work.
SkinandScuba - 5/02/2007 10:27 AM
Greg Your system allows users to block mail from certain people. If a user gets mail that they do not want to receive then they just have to block that user. I have only added users to my buddy list that have replied to me asking me to let them know when we are going for a dive again. I have started mailing everyone that appears to be interested as I see too many divers dropping out of diving due to not having a buddy. I understand that`s why your site was created. I do notice that a lot of divers do not contact other divers in their area, unless they are contacted first. I would leave the system as is and request the users to block mail that they don`t want to receive. They must just remember that if they change there mind they must unblock the user that they have blocked.