Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Freshwater
okmister1 - 12/11/2008 3:35 PM
Category: Books & Videos
Replies: 4

Anyone seen any books (or videos) about diving in freshwater. I can find tons of stuff about saltwater sites, fish etc but finding something on what there is and how to find it in freshwater are damn near non existant.
SeaGoat - 12/11/2008 5:01 PM

I see you’re from Oklahoma. Until recently, I lived in Oklahoma City and the local freshwater diving isn’t too great. I’ve seen perch, bass and a couple of turtles. Vis is about 10 feet if there hasn’t been any rain but on a bad day, I can’t see past my arm. There are supposed to be some decent quarries in Missourri. Skip the Blue Hole in New Mexico. It’s a long drive to see a high altitude sink hole.

Florida is pretty well known for freshwater diving - lots of natural springs with caves. The Cousteau children have done some exploring in this area too. So if you’re looking for general freshwater reference material, looking up "cave diving" or "Cousteau" is where I’d start.
seawolfdiving - 12/11/2008 5:36 PM

What information, about diving in fresh water, are you looking for? Dive sites, fish, low-viz diving, cold water diving techniques, ice diving, etc...?

Subscribed
okmister1 - 12/15/2008 9:05 AM
I’m looking for information about fish and underwater environments in freshwater. There are practically libraries about reefs and such but little about lakes and rivers (unless you’re talking about something like the Great Lakes). There’s interesting stuff under lakes, big catfish, gar, paddlenose, alligator snappers etc. Certainly there are challenges like viz but you dive where you can right, and why not enjoy what you have.
Subscribed
Smithsgold - 6/27/2016 2:00 PM
Mountain Lake Diving

by Phil Moyer and Keith Namestka
copyright 1998
California and Nevada Mountain Lakes