Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

U/W IPODS..anyone try them?
DiveGirl55 - 11/20/2008 2:29 AM
Category: General
Replies: 5

I know that they only go about 20 feet or so, and you don’t actually put the earphone in your ears (since they are pressurized) and that the sounds actually travels in vibrations in your jawbones. Surprisingly one can hear.

I am tempted to buy one, has ANYONE ACTUALLY TRIED OR OWNED ONE : Underwater iPod thingy?

Matt65 - 11/20/2008 8:24 AM
Obviously I cannot speak for anyone else, but why would you want an ipod while diving? When I dive I’m enjoying my peaceful surroundings, enjnoying the dive, looking at the underwater critters and formations. I personally wouldn’t want an underwater ipod. Just putting in my 2 cents on the subject.
seawolfdiving - 11/20/2008 4:33 PM

One might ask "WHY would I take my Ipod underwater with me"?

The ocean and diving are the only place most of us have left to "get away" from all of the noise that surrounds us literally every day, everywhere. And now it appears that even this last sanctuary is being intruded upon. Grrrrr......!

When I dive, all I want to hear are the sounds of my own bubbles and the sounds of nature. I surely don’t want to be listening to Guns-N-Roses as I’m drifting over a coral reef and watching the pretty fish.

There are a lot of really cool gadgets out there that actually enhance the experience of diving. This, I fear, is NOT one of them...

jawbreakerjimmy - 11/22/2008 11:49 PM
Thats a good ? Im not one of the "diving is sacred lets not listen to music" people but are you sure they don’t make any that go past 20 feet? sounds like its worthless for diving if thats the case. I was diving Weeki Wachee Spring last weekend for my open water cert and they were playing music in the water and it was incredibly clear. Would love to find an underwater MP3 that i could take to 100 ft + anyone know of any?
Subscribed
DiveGirl55 - 12/03/2008 2:04 PM

Well, here is the thing: I agree with EVERYONE (and no, I am not a kiss-ass)!

Every now and then I would like to just play my ambient music down there, and maybe even pretend I live down there! Bubbles are nice, but not ALL the time! it completes the ’picture’ to have appropriate liquidy, ambient surreal music down there, at least to me!

I drive a sportscar, and sometimes I like to just drive with the windows down, listening to the engine, and other times I like to rock out, and could care less if the engine is purring!

BOTH is really best to me, even in diving!