Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Need Info on Diving in Florida
txsgrlnasia - 10/07/2008 5:09 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 8

Howdy-

Looking to potentially go to the Florida Keys or Key Largo in December. Which is better for reef/muck dving? We are not so into the whole wreck diving thing. Is this a good time to go in terms of water temperature and weather? Are there any live aboard trips or only all day trips? Need recommendations on dive resorts and/or operators. Thanks for the info!!
OcalaJim - 10/07/2008 5:54 PM
December isn’t bad for diving in the Keys at all. Here is a link to Amy Slate - a great dive operation (in my opinion):

http://www.amoray.com/
malibu - 10/07/2008 8:38 PM
Key Largo is one of the best, if not the best, in the USA. Amy Slates is good and so is Capt. Jack Slates ( Amys’ ex hubby) he runs a nice boat. I like "Its a Dive" It is Located on the Mariotte property ( I think it’s the Marriotte) it is on the south bound side of rt 1 and I think it is about mile marker 105 or near there. It is also a very good operation!!!! I always recomend it to any one looking to dive Key Largo. Have a nice time.
SeverinoScuba - 10/08/2008 7:03 AM
Is there more than one capt. Slate? I only knew of Spencer Slate.
rescue15 - 10/08/2008 8:15 AM

I dove with Silent World last Spring. Their boats are on the same dock as Amy Slate’s. If you need a place to stay they have a good discount on hotel rates too. They were the only operation that was able to get me a room on Easter Sunday 2 weeks before Easter - and the room was a 2 story condo for under $150. I had a great day. I will be diving with them again when I go back. We were the first boat out and the first boat on the reefs.

Steve
Subscribed
txsgrlnasia - 10/08/2008 10:52 AM
Thanks everyone for the good information! This will be my first diving in the US. I am excited to see the comparison between South East Asia and here.
OcalaJim - 10/08/2008 12:33 PM
I’ve never been to Asia, but, I can say without a doubt, in Key Largo it is a treat to dive there.
Subscribed
txsgrlnasia - 11/14/2008 11:47 PM

Hi.. thanks much for the info! Because of info I have gleaned from fellow divers like you and reading up on diving in FL in December.. we have decided to go to Cozumel instead. Will make it down to FL sometime soon I reckon though. When would be the best time to go in your experience? Thanks again.. cheers-Kelli