Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Looking for a solid and expandable BC
okmister1 - 3/31/2007 12:36 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 10

I`m tired of renting and I`m looking at buying my own equipment. I want a BC that will grow with me as I move into newer skills. I`m reading good things about the Dive Rite Transpac II. Basically I don`t want to be limited if I decide to move up to doubles and such. The vest style BCs don`t really feel great to me.
DalelynnSims - 4/02/2007 9:49 AM
Advising someone on equipment is like diving, there is always a risk. If you are like me, and I suspect others as well, you will end up with more than one BC. It looks like your headed to a back inflation one which is good if you spend your time diving and not on the surface with students. Jacket BCs can be lighter and have much in common these days although I am still a fan of a weight belt even if I have some integrated. Ever try and take off an integrated to untangle without a weight belt, another story. Back inflations for doubles is a necessity and I like the stainless 6lb back plate as the focus for this as with a single it helps cut the weight on the hips. Ultimately the decision is yours but if you may end up doing technical or cave look ahead as many require specific configurations for these for simplicity and safety.
Dorkfish - 4/02/2007 3:56 PM
I have just one word: ZEAGLE The Zeagle Ranger (44lbs of lift) is a very versitle system, especially since it is modular. It will grow with you as your experience (and waist line HA!) grows. The Ranger has the capability of accomodating doubles with a manifold. I personally dive a Ranger, though I have heard good things about the Tech Pac (65lbs of lift!), Tech BC (65lbs too) and a host of backplate options: these are the non-recreational BCs and will give you the best versatility in the Zeagle line. Since the Zeagle line has a bladder in an exo-shell, the bladder is protected more than if it were simply part of the BC. This also makes repair/replacement much easier. Maintenance is a snap! For more information please visit: http://www.zeagle.com/ Zeagle has a lifetime warranty on their line as well, but be sure to by from a LDS and not the net to be 100% sure you get a proper warranty from the manufacturer.
NWKatShark - 4/02/2007 7:51 PM
Zeagle Ranger. Take the time to physically look at one and see all the possible configurations you can make of it. Also check out Zeagle`s website about it. I bought mine in 1999 and have modified it 3 times for increased/changing requirements. Zeagle makes the componants I needed. Bottom line, it`s been bulletproof for me, and it looks professional.
Dorkfish - 4/03/2007 4:29 PM
Mike,

Sent you a PM on how to get in touch with Scott Zeagle as well. Hope you find the link in that message useful.
bpsf1 - 4/04/2007 6:50 AM
I am partial to my Poseidon W50. It is fitted to your body and can be fit for doubles very easily. My second choice was the Zeagle, so you can`t go wrong either way IMHO...:)
ScottPadipro - 4/08/2007 1:52 PM
IMHO you should be looking at a backplate and wing. The setup is completely modular, can be used with either a single tank or doubles if you choose to do so later, the wings are interchangable and come in many different sizes to work with any equipment configuration. They are very comfortable to use and the most durable design you`ll find. Just my 2 cents worth. Scott
Subscribed
okmister1 - 4/08/2007 3:26 PM
I`m seriously considering simplifying it all the way down to a backplate and wing but I`m not sure if I`m ready for something quite that austere. When I was looking at the Transpac II I also saw bits about the Transplate. I`m just going to have to look these things over in person and probably try them out first.
Buvarok - 5/22/2007 11:42 AM
I have a Scubapro for sale in the classifieds. You can email me if you would like to hear more about it.
debay(Dee-Bay) - 10/01/2007 8:19 AM
There is a widespread belief that only techies dive BP/Wing rigs. NAY NAY. I know lots of guys who use them. I use a BP/W. AND I only dive a single tank. I like how it feels in the water and its surprisingly comfy. Its totally modular and will be able to "expand" as my diving interests change, and ehh, like someone else said, it changes with my body too.LOL. Ill never own or buy a jacket again. Dive the way you want to, not the way someone tells you to(or cant). I would urge you to try one out before you buy it. Make sure its something that your comfortable with.There are lots of brands out there, look before you jump. Many brands offer diff accessories. The cool part is, that with a BP/W many brands can be combined to meet your needs. Good luck and happy diving. (lots of BP/W divers at ncdivers.com)
jrock1062 - 12/10/2007 9:30 PM
Zeagle is the way to go, but what kind of diving will you be doing tec? cold ? doubles? you need to have an idea as to buy gear that fits your needs. I just bought a Zeagle Tec but i dive in colder waters and most wrecks up here are 110 -140ft so I may use doubles some times