Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Spearfishing - Is it bad or does it have a bad name?
Satya - 3/24/2007 1:45 PM
Replies: 6

Your opinions would be most appreciated.
DalelynnSims - 3/25/2007 12:16 AM
My view as a non spear hunter. I understand the dynamics of this & our shops have Pole spears, Hawaiian slings & different types of guns, band, air psi etc. I go after game with my D500 camera instead. That said I am sure that if I were hungry for fish or other critters, & I do like fresh tuna, I could operate these. All these devices are made for one thing, to kill, & like a gun should be respected similarly. When entering or exiting the water they should be made safe, unhook bands, covering the barbs, handing it with the business end pointed in a safe direction. I have been diving with others that use them and there are two thoughts here. Dive with them as a buddy or dive in another location previously agreed to ensuring you don’t accidentally strike a diver out of visibility range. Some places manage game, size, qty, etc. take or prohibit it. Ensure where you take game allows this or it could costing you a lot more than you expect. My $.02 worth Dalelynn
Greg - 3/26/2007 9:48 AM
Not bad, just have to be safe. No stringers on your hip with bloody fish. Obey local fishing laws. Know who you`re diving with. Don`t shoot towards other divers. If the fish is too big, don`t shoot it and if you do decide to shoot it anyways and it starts to take you for a ride, let go and remain living.

Go with people that are experienced the first few times or take a charter boat that knows what their doing.
NWKatShark - 7/04/2007 11:10 AM
Even better yet, take a sanctioned (?) underwater hunting class from your local Dive Shop or wherever. Granted, reports of injury/death from accidental discharge of band/air guns is rare, BUT I`ve seen some idiots out there that are accidents waiting to happen. I`ve asked others to to please not pre-load until they are approaching target range. Now comes the storm. I`d go as far as to say I believe Dive Shops should only sell band/air guns to those who can show proof they`ve been through a sanctioned safety/use course. Now don`t blow up on me! I`m a handgun/shotgun owner with a license and I enjoy shooting sports. I don`t like a lot of the restrictions that Big Brother is putting on us, but there needs to be a line drawn for safety. I see a lot of really questionable people in line for permits and I think they should be required to show they know safety.
DrDuck - 8/05/2007 12:22 PM
I just started hunting on the coast of california. " No stringers on your hip with bloody fish", where are you supose to carry your catch?
debay(Dee-Bay) - 10/18/2007 3:06 PM
good question. A rig I have seen clips your stringer line to your BC with a small normal clasp. immediately after it hooks into your BC is another larger snap that is easy to use with gloves on in a situation where small snaps are awkward. this large snap hooks onto a long line that is attached attached to the stringer. Some guys just let the stringer hang, others use a bottle to make the stringer neutral so it floats up behind them and over their heads. It makes for an odd rig, but it works. as fish weigh the stringer down, you can inflate with more air or let it hang. some guys hold it while the swim and let it dangle while they prep a shot. and still naother method. wait for a BIG one. shoot and surface.
Spearo - 1/02/2009 7:20 PM

Bad? not as long as is "legal"

A bad name? there is always someone complaining about "the killing" but then they go and eat meat.