Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Local-ish Winter Diving, PA
AL-Diver - 1/01/2019 7:14 PM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 12

Trying to get a good sense for what sites around Eastern PA allow winter diving. I found a website for Guppy Gultch, but wasn’t clear if it was still open to the public for diving or what their rules and procedures are. Does anyone have any info or recommendations for other dive sites that are routinely open during the winter? I’m located in Aston PA.
Thanks,
Austin
Subscribed
MDW - 1/02/2019 7:58 AM
Willow Springs, near Reading used to allow season pass holders to dive all winter by simply calling ahead to get the code for the gate. I have not been there in 10 years or more, so not sure if htey still do this or if they are even still in business at all.

Also, the rivers are free and open all year as long as you can get to a boat launch or other access point. We have been known to dive in the Delaware and Lehigh rivers in the off season. I would imagine you could do the Susquehanna this way as well.

Dutch Springs does have 2 "instructor weekends" in the winter, one in Jan and one in Feb, during which you can have an instructor sign up and add you and others to their "list" to get in and dive on that designated Saturday and Sunday. This of course requires you to know an instructore who is willing to dive mid-winter and available on the specified dates.

Best of luck
Subscribed
AndyinGap - 1/02/2019 4:51 PM
Willow Springs is open, just have to contact them before you go to get the gate code. We were there yesterday and will probably go a few more times this winter. Shark river inlet and Mcclearie Park in NJ won’t freeze, they’re saltwater. Not much else until Spring.
Subscribed
AL-Diver - 1/03/2019 12:52 PM
Great thanks for the feed back. I guess I’ll ask the next logical question. I am busy this Saturday, but anyone wanna do some diving at willow Springs anytime soon? Looks like they don’t allow solo diving so I’ll be looking a buddy.
Subscribed
JoeWR - 1/03/2019 9:29 PM
I’d like to go. I have a pretty flexible schedule, so let me know when you’re available.

Thanks,
Joe G.
Subscribed
BeekeeperGreg - 1/04/2019 9:43 AM
A few of us dive the shore but the rain has been messing up the vis.
It looks like another rained out weekend.
Subscribed
AL-Diver - 1/04/2019 10:09 AM
Joe, sounds good. Right now for your awareness I’m looking at Millbrook Quarry in January as well. I think that is January 19th if I remember correctly. I have it written down in my notes somewhere. It’s a little bit of a drive and thought It would be a good adventure.

Greg, you mean coastal shore or river?
Subscribed
BeekeeperGreg - 1/04/2019 8:11 PM
Austin,
NJ Shore preferred but I never turn down anything with 1/2 clear water.
Greg
Subscribed
JoeWR - 1/05/2019 12:29 AM
Austin, a trip to Millbrook Quarry sounds interesting. Please keep me in the loop about your planning. I called Willow Springs the other day and left a message asking for information on reservations. I’ll post here when I’m thinking of going.

Greg, where do you dive in NJ? How often?

Thanks, Joe G.
Subscribed
BeekeeperGreg - 1/05/2019 7:54 AM
Joe,
I try to dive every weekend when the air temperatures are above 40-45 and the vis might be good.
With the rain and weather last year, and other personal / work commitments —-not many dives

Best shore dives we have done:
Shark River / Inlet
Manasquan River / Inlet

Wrecks out of those inlets have better vis and not as tide dependent.

I have never done Barnegat Inlet but it is on my todo list.
The problem with Barnegat is the longer drive.

South NJ , the vis is usually poor.

Greg
Subscribed
Erik_F - 1/16/2019 5:21 PM
This weekend is even worst looking, but i will be at Dutch Sunday if the weather holds.
Subscribed
BeekeeperGreg - 1/16/2019 9:52 PM
Erik with a K—Is there a Dutch in Florida ?
Or is there a Bar Named Dutch in NJ?
Or are you nuts?

It must nice to be young.
Greg
Subscribed
AL-Diver - 1/17/2019 10:04 PM
I wish I could join ya this weekend. I’m heading to Ohio this weekend. It’s a bummer because it seems like this is going to be an active weekend in the mid Atlantic region. Wish I could make it to a few different quarries and events. It’s only a weekend trip so I’m open to diving the following weekend 26/27 timeframe.

Austin