Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving with alligators
Brennen - 12/24/2017 1:18 PM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 14

Has anyone ever gone diving in an area known to have alligators? I’ve been fascinated by these animals since I was young and have seen numerous videos on YouTube of people diving close to them. Has anyone experienced this? Is it safe? Are there any companies that would provide a guide to do this? I would be looking in southeast US if I was going to do this.

BTW, I am a brand new diver. I am finishing my open water dives this spring, so I am not even certified yet.
ram04769 - 12/24/2017 6:14 PM
I have done the drift dive a couple of times in the Rainbow River in Dunnellon, Florida. We did spot a couple of smaller gators along the banks while being taxied up river to the drop-off point by the pontoon boat. I know it’s not really what you’re looking for but I did enjoy the dives.
ram04769 - 12/24/2017 6:16 PM
I forgot to mention, best of luck in completing your dive course this spring! Have a Merry Christmas!
ELLOCODIABLO - 12/25/2017 10:10 AM
Several of the sinkholes/springs we dive have had gators. Biggest ive seen is probably 7 ft. Always a little wary but never had an issue with them. DONT FEED THEM. Once they loose their fear of you is when they become a problem.
Subscribed
Brennen - 12/25/2017 10:53 AM
I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply. Just to clarify, I am interested in diving with the intent to actually view these animals relatively close, or as close as I can while being safe. From all the videos I’ve seen on YouTube, people get very close to these animals while underwater and I think it has a lot to do with what season it is done and other factors. This is why I’m looking for a guide that has done this before. I wouldn’t want to do it on my own.

Merry Christmas!
Subscribed
Brennen - 12/25/2017 11:18 AM
I have read up on some golf ball hunters getting attacked. These links show what I’m interested in doing. Water with good visibility if I can. And yes I do think some of these people got closer than I would for sure.

youtube.com/watch?v=8YajHkYpvuc
youtube.com/watch?v=11g2NxJxHkk
youtube.com/watch?v=vyTRQLPEHwc
Subscribed
sdweller - 12/27/2017 10:34 AM
There is an amazing kayak tour in the everglades, "Garl’s Coastal Kayak" is the name you can Google it...he takes you DEEP into the everyglades up close and personal with tons of gators, as well as other life. I don’t think he dives with them...but considering your fascination with gators I think you would really enjoy his tour.
Subscribed
Brennen - 12/27/2017 11:54 AM
Thank you! My profile picture is actually meet kayaking with gators up by Jacksonville. I really enjoyed it. I’ll look into that.
Subscribed
Underwaterjohn - 1/01/2018 11:35 AM
In Cuba at the Jardines Del Reina, at the mangroves my dive buddies were in the water with the alligators. Before the trip I thought I’d do it too cause it would present some incredible photo opportunities....
Once I saw the reptile I backed out.
Subscribed
Brennen - 1/01/2018 1:36 PM
Did your buddies go through with the experience? If so, were they pretty close to the animals? Also, did you plan the dive yourself or had someone in the group been diving in the area before?
Subscribed
Underwaterjohn - 1/01/2018 1:45 PM
2 of my buddies did it.....both came back!
I’ve uploaded a pic in my profile. I wasn’t sure how to post it here. The Diver is 12”in front on the alligators’ business end.
It was an organized trip with an Avalon liveaboard. The Jardines del la Reina is hands down the best diving I’ve done in the carribbean.
Subscribed
Brennen - 1/01/2018 6:08 PM
Took a look at the picture...Wow! That’s amazing. Thanks for the info.

Related Content