Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Eastern NC & SC inland diving?
JonnieU - 8/09/2017 7:11 AM
Category: General
Replies: 2

I’m looking for interesting locations along the east coast area of NC & SC to do some shore diving. Doesn’t have to be the ocean. Doesn’t have to be deep. preferably someplace I wouldn’t need a guide. I’ll be travelling south on I-95 most the time. Suggestions please.
(Shorediving.com seems outdated)
LatitudeAdjustment - 8/09/2017 2:49 PM
I think everything that’s on ShoreDiving.com is on our Scuba Earth, I’ve actually compared the list in the past and added a few to Shore Diving.

There are a few beach entries in NC, I was supposed to have been there this past weekend but the dive boat gave away our seats to another club :( While there I wanted to try Radio Island which is a beach entry. It’s too far off I-95 to swing by on the way south to Florida or something so it will need to wait until I’m in the area again.

A search of the forum will bring up a local who post dive reports and video of Radio Island.
Subscribed
BenDavid - 8/21/2017 4:44 PM
I dive Radio Island usually weekly, night and day.

It’s not deep (avg about 30 feet) but like LA said, it’s 130 miles from I-95.
You wouldn’t necessarily need a dive guide if you listen carefully to what people who dive there and know tell you, but you’d enjoy your dive more if you had one. The currents thru there are strong at the wrong times, and the vis can be 20 feet or 6 inches with no rhyme or reason. It’s a shore dive with about a 3/4 mile walk to the entry site. Water temp is usually 80-ish degrees this time of year. 3 mil suit if you’re cold natured but many locals dive with just a rash guard or shorts and T-shirt.

Radio Island