Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Wetsuits - How to Choose a Brand?
cahostetler - 2/03/2017 11:19 PM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 10

I am a new diver (only 8 dives). Based on where I plan on diving and my experience with wetsuits so far, I know I want a full 5mm wetsuit. However, I am overloaded by the number of brands and models available. How can I choose? Are there any brands I should not consider based on your experience? My wife, who also is a new diver, said I should choose an inexpensive suit because I will probably not keep it long i.e. I will discover what I do and don’t like. I, on the other hand, think if you buy a cheap suit, you will definitely not like it. What do you think? Sorry for the the number of questions. Thanks!!
ChristopherBurgert - 2/05/2017 1:47 PM
I bought my wetsuit online, never again. Always buy your wetsuit at a dive shop.
Subscribed
John_giu - 2/19/2017 10:23 AM
Size matters.
They all fit different even in the same brand.
Many of the online sellers offer some sort of sizing guaranty, like
free return shipping, if you’re limited to few local dive shops.
it should fit like a second skin without restricting movement
Subscribed
acantor20 - 2/21/2017 5:40 PM
I purchased my wetsuit from a local dive shop that only sold Aqualung wetsuits. So, my choices were very limited, but I haven’t had any problems/complaints with it.
Subscribed
KarlKnows - 5/29/2018 10:39 PM
You need to try it on and compare which one do you feel more comfortable with
Subscribed
CharlesGraves - 6/20/2018 2:56 AM
Get the Bare reactive 5mm. It’s really good it almost feels like a 7mm

If you’re diving cold-ish water, a 7-5 suit is good (7 torso, 5 on limbs).

Also buying used never hurts!

I love diving and I have added new stuff over the past couple years. I’m getting into cave diving and all I can say is this:

1) make sure price is fair. Compare to online

2) make sure you like it. Try it on

3) make sure you’re serious about scuba and will continue to use it. If you’ll get bored in 3 months then yeah, it was a bad choice

4) and also honestly know your finances. If money is tight, dont spend on scuba. But if you’re doing good financially, why not splurge a little?
Subscribed
ChadS - 8/31/2018 4:08 AM
I went the online route for my new wetsuit, and it worked out great. I was able to nail the size on the first order, so the fit is great. Best value I could find online or at my LDS!

aquazealots.com/dark-lightning-full-wetsuit-review/