Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Pressure gauge or backup computer
ScubaSteve321 - 1/10/2017 7:01 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 7

Still relatively novice and building my kit up and in need of advice. The first piece of gear I purchased was a Perdix dive computer (unfortunately just before they released the AI model). Yes, I know it’s overkill for my current skill level, but I really wanted something that would grow with me. It’s also just really cool and I’m a total gadget nerd. I dove with it this past summer and loved it. Now I would like to buy regs and a console. My question is, do I buy a full console with air integrated backup computer, in which case I’d use that as my backup computer, or do I keep it simple and buy a brass and glass pressure gauge? Or even an spg with compass? Is air integration a really good thing for me to have as I start diving on the regular? Am I better off learning to manage my own air consumption? Any advice would be appreciated.
SeaGoat - 1/10/2017 8:28 PM
I love redundancy. I dive with two computers. One is air integrated. I also have an analog gauge. Whether you go air integrated or purchase a gauge first depends on your personal preference. Either one is fairly reliable. (And if not, that’s why you 1) check your air pressure frequently and 2)stay near your buddy.) Also, my buddy hates hoses so her computer is air integrated. She doesn’t use a gauge.
I have a console mounted compass that came off the pin and is useless. I prefer navigating with a wrist mounted compass anyways. In low vis I can hold the wrist mounted one right in front of my nose. It’s also easier to keep it lined up in front of me and makes my navigation more accurate.
Don’t sweat your air consumption. It will get better with experience. If you want to improve faster, work on your buoyancy, keep yourself in good shape and do yoga because it will teach you how to relax when you are under water.
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 1/11/2017 9:04 AM
My question is, do I buy a full console with air integrated backup computer, in which case I’d use that as my backup computer, or do I keep it simple and buy a brass and glass pressure gauge?
Keep it simple. Your kit will take you into many years of diving hopefully. As you dive more - you will learn that a console is not the best at anything. Jack of all trades - master of none.

Or even an spg with compass?
Keep it simple - buy a wrist mounted compass and learn how to use it but your Perdix should have an integrated compass.

Is air integration a really good thing for me to have as I start diving on the regular?
Air Integration is only data - the more data points you have (as long as you can use them) the better.

Am I better off learning to manage my own air consumption?
AI and air consumption are independent of each other - they are not related. You will learn what your SAC/RMV are but this comes over time and you should start learning how much gas you need for your particular dive. AI will not help this calculation - it is only a source of data or information.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Keep it simple is my advice to you - I have been diving for a long time. That is your goal. You dont need to spend a lot of money to continue diving. Make sure you enjoy the sport and stick with it... :-)
ELLOCODIABLO - 1/11/2017 2:48 PM
I vote spg. Have never seen one fail. Have seen AI fail. Having a redundant comp to me is mandatory . I run 3. 2 in dive mode . 1 in gauge mode with a set of dive tables.
LatitudeAdjustment - 1/11/2017 4:23 PM
From ELLOCODIABLO: I vote spg. Have never seen one fail. Have seen AI fail. Having a redundant comp to me is mandatory . I run 3. 2 in dive mode . 1 in gauge mode with a set of dive tables.

Had a dive buddies AI computer fail in Roatan, dive op had nothing to loan her, I had a second computer to loan her. The only saving grace is we had done a lot of dives together and her air consumption was always within a 100 psi of mine so we just cut the dives short and she came up on my long hose.

At least have an SPG on a hose in your kit
Subscribed
ScubaSteve321 - 1/11/2017 4:45 PM
I appreciate everybody’s feedback here. Based on the general consensus, I will likely go with a simple two gauge console for SPG and depth. I have no reason to believe my Perdix would ever fail, but even if it did, I’d be able to safely ascend or even continue the dive depending on what my deco obligations were in the future. Maybe somewhere down the road I will upgrade to a Perdix AI for additional redundancy. For now, I’m thinking something Like this . Any thoughts?
Subscribed
UnderwaterMartini - 3/31/2017 9:37 AM
Well, If you’re rec diving, you don’t need the computer at all. So if it fails, you surely don’t need a spare, just end the dive.

I would recommend just a small brass and glass SPG from DGX to go with your Perdix. The great thing about that combo is you get rid of the dangly huge console.