Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving in Denver??
Kami - 7/07/2008 1:04 AM
Category: General
Replies: 6

My family may have an opportunity to move to Dever Colorado. Is there anywhere nearby to go diving? I tried searching dive shops web sites in the area and there are plenty of dive shops, but none with info on local diving.
malibu - 7/07/2008 8:56 AM
That is not ucommon for some dive shops to not mention the local diving, they may think that the best thing is for you to call them so they can talk you into comming in to the shop and let them try to get your biz. There are 6 divers from denver ( go to the search and type colorado in state then Denver in city areas) I would suggest contacting them via email (here in divebuddy) and ask them. Diver usually know the best spots to dive and know the local dive areas. If there is an email for the shops, email them too. The ones who respond would be where I would first want to do business with. Remember you should have an altitude specialty class done before you dive there (if you have not done so already). Dive tables are totally different at altitude than at sea level. Dive safe and have a smooth move.
hntr2k - 7/07/2008 10:03 AM
There are a couple of Dive Sites in Northern New Mexico as well. The Blue Hole is one that gets a lot of attention. You might also look into diving Lake Conchas. Both are near Santa Rosa and Tucumcari, NM.
Viralvirtuosity - 7/07/2008 12:05 PM
I am a divemaster for a shop north of Denver and president of a dive club here. As for local diving, we dive Aurora Reservoir (31 feet deep and a Cessna 310 wreck to dive on), Chatfield Reservoir and a bit north of the city is Horsetooth reservoir (Ft. Collins) and Carter Lake (Berthoud). It tends to be colder water, even in the summer (72 at the surface, 60 below the thermocline). The visibility locally tends to range from 2 to 15 foot, with the best vis in the winter as we have algae and silt. 7 mm or drysuit is advised locally.
pinkladydi - 7/08/2008 10:09 PM

XCUE CAPLOK

I BELEIVE THAT DENVER DIVE SHops TAKE THEIR STUDENTS TO new mexico, santa rosa blue hole, cause it’s the closest site suitable for certs
Subscribed
Kami - 7/08/2008 10:55 PM
Thanks to all who replied...it is just a possibility that we could move there and if we did it would be in about 2 years. I am newly certified and am guessing that unless I live in florida or california I am going to be spending a lot of money on dive travel in the future...Texas has some options, but I suspect it wont take long to tire of them as many of the very experienced divers I have met seem to be.
Ed - 7/23/2008 11:58 AM
Diving in the Denver area is limited and very cold (low 30’s in winter to low 70’s in the summer). Coral Reef Scuba and Travel, located in Arvada, has organized dives at a private lake at least once or twice a month. Also, there is a dive area at Aurora Reservoir with a sunken airplane. If you travel outside the metro area there is diving at Jefferson Lake. Ed