Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

RV living fulltime and Scuba
EdwardMH - 12/10/2015 3:55 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 16

I have been trying to decide for a few years now on buying my first home or buying a Class A RV and my service dog and I travel the USA fulltime, I was wondering if there were RV parks that include, offer Scuba (once I learn) and does any one travel by RV strictly/mainly for Scuba.
Jazzy_Gir1 - 12/10/2015 4:43 PM
Hi I have a friend that just retired & bought an RV, dives too
Subscribed
BGDIVER1 - 12/10/2015 5:15 PM
Hey EdwardMH,
Just some info, if it helps. 1st, in your photo, you have what looks like a german sheppard. You said service dog, they can go and do anything. Many RV parks, have breed restrictions, and they are on the list. I have a border collie, and some even have large dog 40 lbs or less restrictions.
I am also a diver. I have been to a few campground with diving. Mostly quarries or the like. In florida there are some springs that are very clear and 72 degrees year round.

It sometimes is difficult to find a buddy to dive with unless it is a high volume site. Most if not all, will not let you dive alone. I only like warm water areas, which creates the next problem. Hot weather, and your dog is in the RV. Not a good thing at all.
Hope the info helps
Brian
Subscribed
EdwardMH - 12/10/2015 5:51 PM
Yes Smokey is a ISSR Shiloh Shepherd and is 84 pounds, so even though he is a Service Dog he can be refused acces at some RV parks? I assum this is because RV parks are private owned?

I am thinking Scuba might not be for me then 😔 I was trying to research Scuba Vacations as well as to what I would have to do with Smokey when I went diving and it does not look Scuba and pets/Service Dogs can mix.
Subscribed
Duke106 - 12/11/2015 9:57 AM
Please check before you give up. I am almost certain it is illegal to deny a service animal entry anywhere people are allowed. My brother in law has a dog but I knew someone who had a monkey at one time. I don’t know anything about RVs but I dove at Vortex Springs once and they had some RV’s there. You should give them a call and maybe even see about getting your training there. Best of luck.
Subscribed
Duke106 - 12/11/2015 9:59 AM
Also, Table Rock is pretty close to Brookline and they have a huge number of RV spots
Subscribed
Duke106 - 12/11/2015 10:05 AM
Sorry for posting 3 times, I should of done some research first. It was bothering me so I checked. It is illegal under ADA to deny entry to a service animal in any area that people are allowed. ADA applies to the entire US

ada.gov/archive/qasrvc.htm
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/11/2015 1:29 PM
I have a class C but the dog isn’t a problem as my wife isn’t going out on the diveboat either.

There are some RV parks in Key Largo, Marathon and Key West with diveboats nearby but I’m not sure within walking range with a gearbag :(

Parking near any dive dock is in short supply and a Class A would need a few spots.

Have you seen bringfido.com/ ?
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/12/2015 10:02 AM
Questions, would you be towing a car, that would make getting from the RV park to the diveboat easier since few docks have parking for a motorhome.

What is your dog going to do when you submerge? Freak out or dive in after you? There was an incident in NJ where a couple dove and their dog went overboard. Another boat picked up the dog and they met up back at the dock. While they were talking a fish jumped out of the water and the dog dove off the dock after it!
Subscribed
EdwardMH - 12/12/2015 6:07 PM
I replied to your previous post but some how lost it LOL.

I will be towing a Prius behind any RV i get. I worried a Class C would be too small to carry My Fishing, Astronomy Metal Detecting and Scuba Gear so been looking at Class A.

When I did the Try Scuba Class the Instructor kept laughing when ever I surfaced from doing what she told me to do, Finally I asked what I was doing wrong and she replied it was not me but that Smokey would pace and touch the water every time I went down (Never tried to enter the water). By time I got to the point of staying underwater for 20+ min Smokey stayed laying down playing with a toy next to where I went down. and the longer I was there the more relaxed Smokey and I as well were.
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/13/2015 8:02 AM
There are two places I know of where there is parking near a beach dive for vehicles with trailers, they mean boat trailers but hopefully the meter maid has some common sense but not always. I once got ticketed in Toms River NJ, I pulled thru two parking spots, paid for both but there was a sign, "Head in parking only"

One spot is Blue Heron Bridge in WPB, there are always a bunch of divers there and hopefully you can find a non-diver with them to watch Smokey. There are sometimes homeless living under the bridge so I wouldn’t leave Smokey alone.

L Street on Shark River in Belmar NJ has trailer parking. There is a group of us from DB diving along the river during the summer and fall and there is usually surface support who could watch Smokey.

You should have been in NJ a few months ago, they opened the dam at the lake near me and everyone with a metal detector was sweeping what had been under up to 6’ of water. Yesterday the beach cleaner went thru so there’s probably nothing left to find.

If you want to spend a week exploring the Pinelands let me know, there’s room in the drive for a class A
Subscribed
EdwardMH - 12/13/2015 3:15 PM
Thank you, I am going to try my best to find a VA Facility that understands the connection between Scuba and PTSD and see if they will be willing to look at my medical records OR move to that area as a new patient to see if I can get a properly diagnosed waiver signed. If yes then Scuba here I come.
Subscribed
EdwardMH - 12/13/2015 5:04 PM
BTW in my Avatar image are two Dogs, the big grey woolly beast is Dante he is a Foster that I am trying to find a good home, Smokey my service dog is the handsome fellow beside me.

flickr.com/photos/100203402@N04/23100657124/in/datetaken-public/
Subscribed
MJ_Kiss - 1/15/2016 12:22 PM
I’m a diver who owns dogs, live in FL and wondered the same thing. So I’ve taken great interest in your post. I’m going to check out the RV show in Tampa this weekend. I also have a number of Facebook friends who travel with dogs, mostly for dog shows. I noticed they have posted some concepts of outdoor kennels that have pvc pipe on the top rail to keep the dogs from climbing out. Bring a shade tent, of course. Dogs and boats don’t mix, though. But a boat dive is usually just a morning activity. The key may be be certain the site has a kennel not too far away - it takes some advance planning, but I know Kissimmee has one particular "doggy daycare" that I thought was quite good. FL RV Show Tampa
Subscribed
Norm4fun60 - 1/26/2016 10:48 AM
I think you will find a lot of access to west coast areas Monterey Caliornia is a great place and Bamboo Reef scuba there is a resource for guided dives and help with RV locations they are very knowledgeable and friendly. You can arrange dives right from shore where parking is steps away from the entry points.
Subscribed
Smithsgold - 6/15/2016 3:33 PM
From Norm4fun60: I think you will find a lot of access to west coast areas Monterey Caliornia is a great place and Bamboo Reef scuba there is a resource for guided dives and help with RV locations they are very knowledgeable and friendly. You can arrange dives right from shore where parking is steps away from the entry points.

I think the Breakwater would work out for you in Monterey
Subscribed
EdwardMH - 6/15/2016 7:27 PM
Thank you all for your replies, Sadly life has thrown me a new curve ball. I have been diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis in both hips the beginning of the year and as of May 9th had my left hip totally replaced and the right will be done soon as the left heals strong enough. So now I have to research Scuba and hip replacement LOL but the RV is on hold for unknown time so am in process of buying this house.