Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diver accidently shot with speargun dies.
uwlover4u - 7/10/2015 5:48 AM
Category: General
Replies: 14

wtsp.com/story/news/local/2015/07/08/spearfishing...-head-dies/29876649/
TheMythicalCaveFill - 7/10/2015 6:22 AM
That’s Sad
Subscribed
Divingcpl - 7/10/2015 1:02 PM
What a tragic accident! RIP.
Subscribed
Aquadawnb - 7/10/2015 6:16 PM
Very sad and tragic.... RIP
LatitudeAdjustment - 7/11/2015 5:09 AM
Sad outcome, "Maribeth and Rob spoke with 10 News last week from the hospital about wanting tougher safety regulations for spearfishing. They said Jarrod was an avid spearfishing man and it was his passion to go out and bring home dinner." But more regs isn’t the answer, basic gun handling be it gunpowder or rubber bans is you never aim a loaded gun where it could hit someone if it were to go off.

Another reason why the draft was good, everyone got weapon handling training.
Subscribed
binobanana - 7/11/2015 1:20 PM
And there it goes again! A freak accident used to push regulations!
Rip brother!!!!
Subscribed
Plmr747 - 7/12/2015 5:11 PM
Very sad RIP
Eric_R - 7/14/2015 9:14 AM
It happens, that’s why they call it an accident. I feel for both involved and the heart break of not only losing a friend but being the cause of his death is a huge burden to carry. RIP.
Subscribed
Peter-EH-NJ - 7/16/2015 8:05 AM
Thanks for the article, uwlover4u. This was an accident, and upsetting to read. Spear-guns should not be allowed on dive boats with non-spear-gun sports divers.
Subscribed
John_giu - 7/16/2015 10:22 AM
From Peter-EH-NJ: Peter-EH-NJ - 2 hours 6 minutes ago.
Thanks for the article, uwlover4u. This was an accident, and upsetting to read. Spear-guns should not be allowed on dive boats with non-spear-gun sports divers.

Thousands of non-hunting Pennsylvanians get to enjoy public lands bought and paid for by game dollars,
taxes on SPORTING goods provide for more wildlife and fishery programs than any other revenue source.
If you don’t like guns, firearms or spear guns stay out of the woods and water. Most of the Jersey Coast boats allow for spear fishing, this might differ from more recreational areas in the south.

beside BOTH the divers in the article were engaged in spearing.
Subscribed
Capt_Beluga - 7/21/2015 5:27 PM
Awful:
Saying "If you don’t like guns, firearms or spear guns stay out of the woods and water." sounds very much like the infamous Joe the Plumber’s: "But: As harsh as this sounds – your dead kids don’t trump my Constitutional rights."
Weapon owners don’t own the outdoors, stop being so arrogant. The outdoors is just a reminder of what they used to be before we came and commercialize the crap out of them.
I find very disturbing the whole "my guns/weapons/spearguns are sacred, don’t touch them" rhetoric. I like weapons and own as well, but having a reasonable amount of control is positive for everyone.
Many, many years ago I lost a friend in a spearfishing accident; it was an accident, non intentional, but an incredibly stupid nonsensical one. The "I’m sorry it was an accident" didn’t do a bit of good.
How’s handing over full auto weapons to nine year old girls working out? That was an "accident" too. Oops! sorry dude! Can you even fathom how’s that girl going to feel for the rest of her life? Or Dale H. Bartush?
Subscribed
John_giu - 7/21/2015 7:50 PM
Arrogant.... well if you cant win the argument with facts.. insult and attack... Liberal alert!!!!!
Go find another red herring to support your loosing position.
(((((sigh))))
Subscribed
GatorGill - 8/02/2015 8:33 AM
We spear fish a lot and that is seriously a tragic accident. Its a thought that has crossed my mind during several trips we have taken — Just Tragic !