Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Help on regulator
ChocMoose13 - 12/27/2006 6:43 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 11

I need a new regulator. I am a "sipper" when it comes to air, and mostly want something that will be VERY lightweight, compact AND allow me to be at ANY angle and not get water in my mouth. I am a diver who pokes under rocks and outcroppings, so am frequently "upside down" in the water. Present one starts to get misty once I invert, AND seems huge. Any suggestions? Any regs out there that similar divers have used and love? Thanks!
toddlydiver - 1/03/2007 10:26 PM
For diving less than about 150`, I personally prefer to use Sherwood regs. I use a Maxamus but the Oasis also breathes well (Oasis is the warm water version). Sherwood regs are very reliable, enviromentally sealed, and very easy to repair. Look at the Sherwood web site to learn about all of the features to find the one to best suit your needs. Deeper than 150` I use a rebreather or Posiden regs. As far as the mist when inverted, most if not all will do that. Perhaps the Posiden Oden may be better because of the design. When the diver`s body is deeper than the regulator, the exhaust diaphrams tend to leak a little. I hope this helps.
ScubyDoo - 1/11/2007 10:27 AM
ChocMoose13 There are many regulators out there that are lightweight and breathe easy in all positions. I dive the Atomic B2 which is excellent in both categories, even at depth. Good luck to you.
JD - 1/16/2007 7:35 PM
Hi there. I have an Aqualung Titan Micra adjustable. This is a great small regulator that seems to be fine at any angle, and being able to adjust the cracking resistance is great for different depths to ensure easy breathing.
Greg - 1/19/2007 5:44 PM
Depends on the money you want to spend. Personally, I`m happy with my Dacor Eagle/Viper. Dacor regs have the patented Vortex Assisted Design and DFC ports to improve air flow. The exhaust is on the side of the second stage so it doesn`t matter which way you put it in your mouth. For an inexpensive reg, it breaths well.
adammcdowell - 1/30/2007 7:06 PM
most all regs are light and breath very well something that should be just as important is can it be serviced where you are. If you can talk to your service tech he can tell you more about regs than any diver out there. some companies are very hard to get parts from so your reg could be in the shop for awhile. I have had a very hard time getting parts from dac/mar and some have alot more parts than others so talk to service guy not the sales man on regs
grassyknoll - 2/13/2007 2:31 PM
I second the Aqualung Titan Micra adjustable, I even have the yellow faceplate version as my octo. I have dove it invereted for extended periods at 100`+ and it has allways performed well. It`s a decent reg that won`t break the bank.
Dorkfish - 3/25/2007 2:40 AM
First, you absolutely need to remember that EVERY regulator builds moisture inside it from the saliva in your breath. Most generally it collects at the bottom of the regulator and is vented out upon exhale, although this may not be true for every model that exists.

I have had great experience with my Mares Axis (bought as a student/first rig) and my Zeagle Envoy (upgraded to this). The only issue I noticed with the Zeagle is that like any equipment you dive with it should be serviced prior to cold water diving if you have used it all season. Mine was a bit tempermental in 45-55 degree water temps after diving all summer and fall.
Dorkfish - 3/25/2007 2:42 AM
Got button happy, sorry.

A lot of the "mini" regs I`ve sampled seem to be very light and functional in multi-positional situations. I have yet to try Oceanic`s newest mini though.
bpsf1 - 4/04/2007 6:54 AM
Love my Atomic T2. Its Titanium, making it one of the lightest Regs on the market. Easiest breathe I have ever encountered...not that I have encountered that many...LOL!
PEZ2U2 - 6/05/2007 6:47 PM
If your looking for light weight you will probably want a titanium regulator, I would recommend atomics latest T2. BUT... Sherwoods Maximus is a very good regulator, it is very comfortable. It has an underarm hose which I find is very enjoyable, and has a fine corse adjustment knob on the 2nd stage that you can adjust while you are diving. If your looking at saving a little Green though, and want a regulator that is just as good, but is a no name brand, I would recommend the Genesis GS2000 regulator. Its service is not to bad, and multipole components in it do keep the cost of replaceing parts down should they get damaged in comparison to the Maximus. Personaly this is my favorite regualtor over the Maximus and my opinion is a better regulator and a better buy to boot.
DiverParamedic - 10/26/2007 8:20 AM
Posideon Cyklon!! I bought mine almost a year ago and I wouldn`t trade it in for all the dive gear at my local dive shop. I`m getting ready to get a second. I have yet to have it give me any problems. It is a high volume regulator so the moment you take a mild breath your lungs are full. If a wave hits it when your snorkling you can dump 500 psi in a few seconds though. But then I just hold on to it when I`m snorkling out. A bit pricy, and the servicing can be pricy, but I`ll pay for it. See if your local dive shop will let you try one out.