Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Puerto Aventuras (just south of playa del carmen) experiences?
RodneyKim - 11/17/2014 9:21 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 4

This upcoming Feb. 2015, we will be traveling and staying at the Hard Rock Hotel, Riveria Maya with a very large group of non-divers. This is located between playa and Tulum. Does anyone have any experiences of this area with dive shops or dive sites? Padi website shows 3 in the very immediate area of the hotel. The hotel suggested Dive Aventuras. The other two are Aquanauts and Pro Dive. I have dove Cenotes (actually in this area) and some around Playa many years ago. Used the dive shop of GeoFish in playa which is no longer in business.
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 11/21/2014 2:38 PM
We recently looked at property in Puerto Aventuras. It is a very nice area - gates, quiet and safe. I also have talked to a number of shops there but have never used them. There are a few good sites in that area. They also will venture up toward PDC as well to some of the southern sites. If you go up towards PDC I would recommend calling on Steve Flanigan at Reef Quest. We have been diving with him since Geofish closed a number of years back. He is very accommodating and can tailor to suit your needs. Have fun!
Subscribed
japato - 11/22/2014 11:56 PM
I suggest skipping Pro Dive. I was there a month ago and their prices are thru the roof. They wanted $70 usd for a tank of air not counting the dive price.

I stayed two resorts from Hard Rock (Puerta Adventurous or something spelled like that). I would recommend skipping the ocean dive and doing the Cenotes. You may never be back. Check out my dive logs. My last two with that dive shop were wonderful. You won’t find the Cenotes any place else. I highly recommend that dive shop in my logs and both of those Cenotes. The shop was Planet Scuba Mexico (planetscubamexico.com). I highly recommend asking for Davide Marchetti (#253508). He was an excellent DM. Free Nitrox!!! Intact if you really want to max out things, they can get you the big boy 100 tanks. They covered lunch on the dives.

If you decide to skip the Cenotes which I suggest you dive, then there is Blue Angel in Cozumel (987-872-1631). You catch the 10 AM ferry over, dive till 4 PM and return on the 5 PM ferry.

Talk to the guys at Planet Scuba Mexico (Manuel Huber), they are an excellent shop.
joeyro16 - 11/26/2014 10:13 AM
If you are wanting cenote dives I highly recommend Diablo Divers. Top notch.
Subscribed
HolyDiver55 - 4/21/2015 5:17 PM
Was in Riviera Maya last year and was among a group of non divers so I scouted like you are for a good dive shoppe away from the resort where we were staying which is pricey and did not have a good rep per my research. So I went with Dive Aventuras and did an ocean and center dive with two different dive masters. They were all great. I highly recommend them.