Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

January 2015 Chuuk/Manila Airport
Holty54 - 8/10/2014 1:44 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 6

On my trip to Chuuk in January 2015 my flight is routed through Manila Airport in the Phllipines.
I will be arriving at Terminal 3 with Emirates Airlines and leaving with United Airlines which I believe is based at terminal 1, I have a 7 hour stop over. What is the best way to transfer between terminals airport shuttle bus, or Taxi and do they accept US Dollars or just local currency. any information greatfully accepted.
Stuart
Agojo - 8/10/2014 3:08 PM
Not sure but don’t think they have a airport shuttle. They do take U.S. dollars and typical exchange rate is $1 = Php 40 (Philippine Pesos). If you take a taxi between terminals a more than fair rate would be $5 (this would include the tip). Many taxis don’t want to run the meter and ask a very high price. Bad news is Terminal 1 is the old airport terminal and not so nice but adequate. You will need about $9-12 or equivalent pesos for terminal fee to depart from Terminal 1.
Subscribed
TonyX - 8/10/2014 4:17 PM
Stuart,

You’ll find taxis just outside the terminal building. I have heard there is a new shuttle bus operating, but I’ve not seen it with my own eyes, so wouldn’t necessarily trust that it works or is worth using in preference to paying a small premium and getting a taxi. Taxi will cost maybe a couple hundred peso (5 bucks +/-).
When you come through baggage reclaim and Customs you’ll see cash machines and money changers. I guess it would be cheaper for you to use the money changers to avoid bank charges when using the ATMs.
Change up something like $50, this will give you plenty for taxi, meals at T1 and the terminal fee (550 peso) when departing T1. T1 is one of the least interesting airports you are ever likely to come across!

Enjoy Truk, it’s an awesome place to dive!
Cheers

Tony
Subscribed
Holty54 - 8/11/2014 5:01 AM
Thanks for the reply’s much appreciated
Subscribed
TonyX - 8/11/2014 5:22 AM
Hi Stuart,

If you’re thinking of coming to the Dive Show at Birmingham in October, I’ve got a few thousand peso I could change up for you! I’ll be on the Philippines stand.

Cheers

Tony
Subscribed
Underwaterjohn - 8/14/2014 7:38 PM
I was in that airport last year on the way to Cebu and Palau. There’s a shuttle bus and it’s free. If you have the energy, you could even leave the airport and check out the Mall of Asia...huge! In good traffic only a 20 ride from airport. There’s a luggage storage area as well. 7 hours is a long time to be stuck in an airport. Might as well get some culture while you’re there.
Subscribed
Holty54 - 8/15/2014 9:01 AM
Thanks for the info John,
Tony I will be going to the Dive show at the NEC most likely Saturday so will take you up on your offer.
Stuart