Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Maldives
scubascoop - 7/15/2014 10:51 PM
Category: General
Replies: 3

What are peoples experience diving in the Maldives in October. I am thinking about going a liveabord??
Subscribed
Greg - 7/16/2014 8:16 AM
There are a handful of dive sites in the Maldives listed on DiveBuddy. Check out the "Who’s Been Here" tab on these dive sites. Maybe contact a few of those members.

divebuddy.com/divesites_search.aspx?CountryISO=462
Subscribed
USACMASDiver - 7/22/2014 4:59 PM
By my standards, the Maldives are awesome. But I like that kind of thing. I was on Kaafu back in the day. I found the vis to be in my comfort zone. South Male used to be sort of the center for East Side. My advice, hey, you heard it on the internet, right? Would be to pick your association of choice, because you want a dive master who knows his/her stuff. The reason is, between you, me, and that bubble, is this. I don’t know how they are doing now. Inside the United Nations, inside UN CITES, we have been working on getting this regions Whale Shark protected. Now, the Maldives are one of the places on the planet where you can "predict" when the Whale Sharks will make their run. If, ... , you have never been diving with a Whale Shark, please don’t tell me that you haven’t, poor thing, but if you haven’t, then get on the internet and your agency and find out who the dive master / instructor is today, who has been following the Whale Share cycle for many years. That experience is worth traveling to the Maldives to see and to dive. IMHO. This is also one of the few islands on the planet with really vibrant coral, but I would check with that on how that is today. The coral is worth seeing, for sure, but it is the Whale Shark run that is really rare. There are a lot of dive shops that will tell you they know when they run, but you want a dive master who has been following them for a number of years. There is a lot to the Maldives though.
Subscribed
USACMASDiver - 7/22/2014 5:55 PM
Before you book for October, study well the patterns of something called "The South Asian Monsoon." At that time of the year you might be pushing the South Asian Monsoon envelope. That monsoon there is different from mine. Still, look into it, studying up on what you really want to see, ie currently, when and where is the best time to dive with whale sharks if you are into that, and line it up. It is a very, very ancient ocean so it is awesome. And, I got the impression that you might have dived it before, yet might not have. This sea has sea snakes in it in case the idea freaks you out. I am hoping you have dived before in waters where they were, if not, I cannot really coach you on that on the internet.