Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Question about wetsuit/gear
Loren_Sangster - 7/02/2014 6:45 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 6

Two quick things.

1. I just bought the new Henderson Thermaxx wetsuit that was just released with the firefleece interior. I’m 5’4, 130 lbs... I got a small and it fits in the chest fine but the legs are about 2" too long and the sleeves are a bit long as well. The small is really meant for someone 5’6" to 5’7. Though an extra small would be way too tight and small for me. Soooo is it possible to get wetsuits hemmed? Within a reasonable price? Just curious.

2. I’m looking to buy a new BCD and Reg soon and want to know others opinions on whats best out there at the moment. Looking to spend around $1,100 - $1,200. I was looking at Scubapro or Hollis but if anyone has opinions on certain models or brands, I’d love some feedback. Thanks everyone. Happy diving.
Eric_R - 7/02/2014 9:46 AM
Do a Google search for wetsuit alterations. There’s plenty of places that do it. Maybe somebody will chime in that has used one of the repair or alteration shops. Does your local shop have any resources?
Subscribed
btw2459 - 7/02/2014 10:33 AM
When buying kit, especially regulators look at what your local LDS sells. This will make it easier to get the servicing done when needed. When it comes to favorites that could start a heated discussion. Everyione has their own personal favorites. If you buy Scubapro you’re buying a brand that is world wide however I don’t like the price. My own pewrsonal choice is Aqualuing - another worldwide brand. I’ve got the Titan LX Supreme and I like it. I’ve got a Mares Jacket BCD at the moment and it is good. If I was going to buy a new one I would like buy a Dive Rite Trans Pac and wing. I like how it is modular and you can chop and change as hyour diving changes.
Subscribed
Dutch - 7/02/2014 3:47 PM
I have been using Scubapro since the mid-70s and still dive regularly with some of the vintage stuff. It is well worth the extra money and while I have had other manufacturers equipment, none has held up to heavy use the way Scubapro does.
Subscribed
Loren_Sangster - 7/09/2014 6:47 AM
Hey thanks for all the feedback guys! I truly appreciate it.
Pyramid - 7/09/2014 11:32 AM
When I was buying my BC and reg I asked the guy at the LDS for his opinion, he has a few different brands and said Scubapro is what I should get.Took me around the shop for about an hr discussing pro’s and con’s for everything, needless to say i went with Scubapro and love it
Subscribed
John_giu - 7/20/2014 12:42 PM
As has be offered many times here.
Dive with it if you can. Any modern regulator in that price range will
work reliably and well. You need to be comfortable with what you dive in.
All the rest maybe be true but opinions are worthless if the gear doesn’t work for you personally.