Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Good Dive Buddies
Scuba-Stu - 6/03/2014 1:55 PM
Category: General
Replies: 25

What traits do you look for in a dive buddy? I know its difficult to measure a persons abilities before you get down but what surface actions would make you leery of diving with someone?
Subscribed
RAWalker - 6/03/2014 3:15 PM
A good dive buddy knows the importance of staying in close range and view of their buddy. This allows for good communications underwater and in the event of an emergency action to be taken without delay. So it should be unless you know the buddy you will be diving with, communication before the dive of each others abilities, training, expectations during the dive, a review of signals and each others equipment. Listening to the dive briefing and then discussing anything needed between buddies. A complete buddy check before hitting the water and a quick check before submerging. A good diver is always learning and that improves their abilities and value as a buddy.
Subscribed
Scuba-Stu - 6/03/2014 4:56 PM
That is a good text book definition but what observations about the individual are you making? Is there something in the individuals actions that give you cause for concern?
Subscribed
SantaFeSandy - 6/03/2014 7:00 PM
Sure there is body language that can alert you as to whether or not you both are on the same page, and or a good fit. For me, being rather detail oriented, I have no desire to be with smokers, or spear gun divers, or those with little regard for our planet. Macho men/women who think they can harm the environment won’t cut it either.

So, if I link with a new buddy who gets out of their vehicle looking like they’ve been ridden hard and put away wet, with unkempt hair, smoking a cig, bloodshot eyes, smelling like booze, and a hodge podge or equipment, that’s a pretty good sign that they will not have your back, let alone be in control of their own life.

Those who don’t talk about the dive, who just descend without being in sync with you, are more examples of those you ought to be leary of. Additionally, if their conversations tend to lean towards partying or heavily self-centered, that’s a pretty good indication of an imbalance as well, just like comments that are predominantly negative.

Another great guage is whether or not they are happy people who smile a lot or not.

Meanwhile, for me, good buddies smile a lot, like to talk and actually be friends, share expenses with each other when commuting or bringing goodies, truly want to help each other and have a good time while staying safe and continually learning.

So, what do you look for?
Subscribed
RAWalker - 6/03/2014 8:29 PM
Stu, think of it as a relationship you’ve started. Some times it comes easy and all the lines of communications open at once and other times you need to make more of an effort. It really is about good communications, being confident in your buddies skills, relaxing in that confidence without becoming complacent and enjoying the time together. Those you want to skip are those that draw you into making bad snap decisions or are so interested in their own agenda they can’t be attentive to your needs. For example a good buddy that you’ve dived with often could try to entice you into a profile your not ready for or knowing your limits help expand your skills without taking you into a situation beyond control. You as a good buddy must communicate your apprehension of a profile that may make you nervous or is beyond your abilities even if it is just a temporary limitation. All good relationships require good communications and self assessments. Like any other just walk away politely if you feel more effort isn’t worth the investment. Just do it before or after the dive.
Subscribed
Scuba-Stu - 6/03/2014 9:26 PM
Rob you are right communication is paramount but as Sandra says there are tell tales in body language and appearance. I am a pretty laid back jovial person and get along with most people but when it comes to my dive partner I want to see confidence but not cocky organized but not militant, and somebody who will talk with you not over you. If they are as relaxed as I am on the ride out I feel more comfortable. I like to see someone aware of their surroundings and conscious of the dive site (done some research on the dive site) There are quite a few "used car salespeople" out there that can talk a good game but they can’t hide what their bodies are saying. I am a people reader, as most people telegraph who they are in the 1st 10 minutes of a conversation, if within those 1st moments I can’t find a good footing for a "relationship" I won;t cancel the dive but I will be a bit more apprehensive about the dive with that person. Being confident in my skills is easy but until you are down with someone you can’t gauge their abilities.
Subscribed
RAWalker - 6/04/2014 12:44 AM
I understand what you are saying from to 2 perspectives I’m an Instructor and when teaching a OW student I am for all intent a purpose a solo diver. Then when out for recreation if I don’t have a buddy with me many Dive Ops like to make use of my skills an pair me with a less experienced diver. Depending on my expectations of the dive I can either allow that to stand or inform the Op that they will need to pay for my services or pair me with an experienced active diver. On the other hand I’ll warn you about first impressions. One of my regular buddies is also a Instructor who looks my age but is younger nearly 10 years younger. (I’m 51) He is a friendly but somewhat reserved person. As a dive buddy and instructor I respect his abilities. His SAC rates are amazing always finishing dives with plenty of reserve air. In fact while diving with his father and my wife in Coz last year he and my wife had enough air to continue for another 10 minutes when his father needed to surface being only a few minutes away from the need myself I took his father to the surface and allowed my wife and him to continue. How many people would you trust as a buddy for a loved one? I only have 1 other buddy that I may be ready to do that with and it isn’t my wife. (she is an adequate OW diver but not at a level that she could take charge in an emergency) That is why I’ll give divers that took the initiative to become rescue certified extra effort to communicate with. People like myself that dive regularly in sub optimal conditions at their local lakes also tend to want to become better divers. They train and practice. I like C-Card collectors although many in our sport complain about them I find they want to learn, take advice and practice to become better divers. It’s not a guarantee but nothing is.
Eric_R - 6/04/2014 4:05 AM
On our weekly Wednesday day dives I often get paired with less experienced divers because of my experience. I always ask how many dives they’ve done and where they did them. I also ask a few questions about their gear so I know what their using and they become more familiar with it. If I get to pick my buddy I like divers that are organized and get geared up in a timely manner. This often tells me they are focused on the task at hand. I still ask the same questions because it can often lead to another dive at a spot I have never been or even thought to go.
Subscribed
Scuba-Stu - 6/04/2014 9:07 AM
Maybe I should have elaborated but I thought it was implied in the question that this is somebody that you meet for the 1st time on the deck of the boat. Another diver who came to the show solo. I was looking for the tells of a person that can’t be faked.
Subscribed
freddyray - 6/04/2014 12:55 PM
I usually plan a dive with a buddy, but have hooked up with other solo divers. I have run the gamet of the ones who once we descend they are gone and you keep up with them and there are others who communicate all the time even under water. Talk and listen to them. If they communicate on top the water they will most likely communicate underwater. If they say ok I am going to do this . . . without regard to what you want out of the dive then stick close to them as they won’t stick close to you.
Subscribed
SantaFeSandy - 6/04/2014 5:06 PM
This is great conversation y’all. I’m really enjoying the read, and Stu, if you come to North Central Florida anytime, I think we’d click as dive buddies diving the springs and caverns. I just bought a new camera setup so that expenditure has pushed me taking "Intro to Cave" back a number of months. However, the cave environment sure is pretty and I look forward to diving and photographing it soon.

If I were nearer to the ocean, or had the financial means to have all my bills paid, and my animals cared for, I’d be taking Wreck diving in a heartbeat.

Meanwhile, back to this conversation, I think that your analogy of a person not being organized from the start, and not being geared up in time, is a tell tale sign of who you’re dealing with, or should I say, what level they are at.

Those, as you mentioned, who have invested themselves into learning more about a dive site before going there, who have done the research, who have the necessary gear for the environment, and who continually seek to learn more, are the ones most likely to appreciate that the air on their back is yours, as is the air on your back, theirs. Diving is fun, however, it really isn’t a game. We are not fish, and drowning because of poor judgment is avoidable more times than not.
Subscribed
RAWalker - 6/04/2014 5:38 PM
I have something to ponder within this thread.

How many of you dive with an integrated octo? (power inflator octo combination)
Do you consider dive buddies with them a special consideration compared to a standard octo?
Subscribed
Scuba-Stu - 6/04/2014 5:50 PM
The integrated octo is great for streamlining and if diving with a known trusted buddy they are great. In the instructional environment they dont seem to be much of an asset unless you are using it as a 2nd octo or a back up for yourself.
Subscribed
RAWalker - 6/05/2014 1:04 AM
Stu, I agree that it requires trust in your buddy’s abilities if he is using an integrated octo. The proper use of one requires practice to control buoyancy because it must be timed with breathing. That said I prefer it because of the streamlining and have my primary second stage on a long hose for the conveniences and safety it offers.

As for in and instructional environment I am a firm believer that it should be introduced during OW classes. My reasoning is simple...Whether you like them or not they are common place equipment in use by divers today and as such Instructors owe it to their students to make them ready to deal with a dive buddy who uses one and the differences during an OOA situation. Since buddy breathing on a single second stage is no longer a requirement of standards during OW the switch to a buddy’s primary second stage for accent should be covered. As an Instructor my students can expect this to be covered and discussion of why is within my mentoring. Any less isn’t doing students justice and furthers the idea of an integrated octo being an inferior product which IMHO it is not. It is a component that requires practice to develop skill in it’s use. I proved this to myself by using it during my IDC and IE and feel I am comfortable with my skills using it to be able to control my buoyancy while in a overhead obstruction environment.
Subscribed
SantaFeSandy - 6/05/2014 5:09 AM
Interesting read, for as my BC ages, which I love the fit of on my tiny body, I’d like to get the same one over again. The new model of the ScubaPro Lady Hawk has the alternate inflation regulator on it. I’ve been wondering about them, and now you guys are teaching me more. Thanks. :-)

leisurepro.com/p-scplh2/scubapro-ladyhawk-bc-with...-inflation-regulator
Subscribed
Scuba-Stu - 6/05/2014 5:56 AM
Rob I agree being taught the different options that are available is a good thing. Sandy if you really wanna get streamlined the A2 and a hose-less dive computer do wonders. I also like Aqualungs I3 system with a regular alternate air source. Any way you can "tighten" it up safely is good in my book
Subscribed
SantaFeSandy - 6/05/2014 11:21 AM
Stu, do you have links for me to view the equipment you suggest? I’m not familiar with A2. I’ve reviewed the hoseless computers a wee bit, but need more research, particularly in overhead environments.

Meanwhile, a bit about myself: I’m 5 ft. 121 lbs. I’m a retired thoroughbred jockey with a ton of old injuries (broken neck, back, tibia, knee, ankle, arm, hips, LOL, you name it, including ligaments, I’ve had it) that demand the comfort of fit that I currently have with the ScubaPro Lady Hawk. I do not like bulky BCD’s. I dive in steel. So, whatever you recommend, I’ll review it, but if you could keep these stipulations in mind, and provide links, that would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Meanwhile, new photos just posted to my websites from my dives at Manatee Springs and Catfish Hotel, yesterday.

flickr.com/photos/santafesandy/
Subscribed
SantaFeSandy - 6/05/2014 11:28 AM
Oh, and I was thinking, pertaining to your original question, as for body language, we must consider anatomy & physiology too. If you meet a new buddy who has really "thirsty" skin, lacking in color, and flaking...they need blood oxygen. Most likely they smoke excessively. If they are jaundice or pale, they may have either Hepatitis, or they may be anemic.

If the person is chronically negative, that’s a deeper rooted problem that you are most likely not going to fix.

If they constantly feel compelled to agitate the wildlife in parks, or sealife underwater, there are either insecurity issues at hand, control issues, or they are just miserable people.

Red flags are there for a reason, afterall, the number one reason for diver emergencies is what??? Poor Judgment. So, I constantly have to tell myself to listen to that still small voice within me, and "hear" those red flags. When in doubt, bail out!!!
Subscribed
Scuba-Stu - 6/05/2014 11:55 AM
The A2 is ScubaPro’s alternate air source though its actually "Air2"
scubapro.com/en-US/USA/regulators/products/air2.aspx
Every manufacturer has a version of it but since you like you ScubaPro BC I figure you might wanna use one that will fit it without a hose replacement.
Hoseless computers are everywhere like anything it comes down to how much you wanna spend and what kind of features you want. I am personally looking into the D6i by Aqualung but there are many many different makers and models to chose from. I think it is Sport Diver magazine has a section called gear in 60 seconds which is a review of gear.

I saw the pics, very nice
Subscribed
SantaFeSandy - 6/05/2014 1:05 PM
Thanks for the link. That’s the same system on the Lady Hawk, whose link I also posted:

ScubaPro Ladyhawk BC with Air 2 Alternate Inflation Regulator Features

What’s in the box:
BC, Air 2 Alternate Inflation Regulator and LP quick disconnect hose

This superior women’s BC teams all the technical features of our Knighthawk with a female-specific cut and design. This back flotation jacket is thoughtfully tailored to enhance the female diver’s experience, and represents a new dimension in optimized load distribution, freedom of movement and comfort. Designed for female divers, the Ladyhawk BCD boasts of having a low profile, backpack-style harness system, integrated weight system, and back-mounted buoyancy system. The Ladyhawk is equipped with Scubapro’s Balanced Power Inflator, has a roll up zippered pocket, Stainless Steel D-rings for attachment of accessories, a sturdy Stainless Steel Tank Attachment System, and a comfortable neck roll of soft neoprene with a special foam back pad, making it the BCD of choice.

DIVE PINK & FIGHT BREST CANCER! For every Pink BCD $40 will be donated to fight breast cancer.

Key Features

Progressively shaped air cell
Fabricated using abrasion-resistant 1000 denier nylon and puncture-resistant 420denier nylon
Stainless steel D-rings offer diver plenty accessory attachment options
Zippered pocket can be rolled up and stowed out of the diver’s way when not used
Two front quick-release weight-integration pockets hold up to ten (10) pounds of weight
Comfort features: neck roll of soft neoprene, special foam back pad
Three pull dumps deflate the BC quickly from any position the diver may encounter
Chest buckles pivot to comfortable accommodate a woman’s physique
Stainless steel tank attachment system
Air 2 Alternate Inflator Regulator
Subscribed
RAWalker - 6/05/2014 1:05 PM
Since we are recommending equipment... I agree with wireless air integrated computers for streamlining but also recommend a backup computer when diving computer based profiles instead of tables. I dive wireless myself and wear a Oceanic VT3 on my wrist and Atom 2 on my chest D-ring. They both use the same transmitter and algorithm. In case of computer failure can switch to the remaining computer to complete the dive with transmitter failure both computer continue to work without the pressure readings so after either a new battery in the transmitter of swapping to a fresh transmitter, I’m back in the water without delay for nitrogen washout which may be necessary with only 1 computer and switching to tables and gauges.
As for the ScubaPro A2... Scubapro is a MARP agreement company and as such set the selling price a dealer can sell for. This makes their gear artificially over priced and a poor value. For those that like their gear the quality is above average but so is gear from many other MAP agreement companies which allow dealers to discount. (Such as Oceanic) I suggest in protest to the price fixing of MARP companies you avoid them altogether and purchase better values of the same quality or higher from MAP companies. Anyone that tells you that you can’t find alternate selections to match function and quality is simply a brainwashed consumer.
Of my 2 kits I use a Sherwood Gemini integrated on my jacket style BCD and a AquaTec Air3 on the other. Personally I consider the Gemini superior to the A2 which I have had opportunity to try. The AquaTec is it’s equal with more features but is hit or miss from the factory and may need tuning before use. Using both an Air Integrated Computer and Integrated Octo is the ultimate in streamlining having only 2 low pressure hoses. One connecting the Integrated Octo/power inflator and the other for the primary second stage.
Subscribed
Scuba-Stu - 6/05/2014 1:53 PM
I am sorry Sandy I didnt look at the link but yes that is the same as on you Ladyhawk and Rob I agree there are good and bad from all manufacturers and personally I don’t use SP products for the reasons you state.
Subscribed
Scuba-Stu - 6/05/2014 1:56 PM
But she does like what she dives and is comfortable in it and that is what is important
Subscribed
SantaFeSandy - 6/05/2014 2:13 PM
Now I must say, I just bought a new pair of ScubaPro Jet Fins, that actually fit my tiny ladies 4/5 feet, and the spring straps that fit them, produced by Halcyon, are $63., whereas the ScubaPro edition is $39.95.

Aside from my regulator, fins, booties, and BC being ScubaPro, my mask is a Rx brand, wetsuits are Henderson, gear bags are Oceanic, Mares, etc., snorkel fins (for freediving and my tiny feet) are Cressi, gloves are from my equine tack shop, hood is Henderson, steels by Worthington, etc., etc., ;-)
Subscribed
RAWalker - 6/05/2014 10:34 PM
I’m not trying to insult anyone’s choice but to educate and help us all as a group. Through making an impact on the choices manufacturers and dive shops make in pricing, which brands to carry and which to buy. If we all vote with our hard earned dollar MARP pricing policies will go away. Just a few years ago some brands refused to allow online sales and now they all allow it. Now we just have to get rid of the unAmerican, unfair price fixing.